Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm today's wwftd is... - 04/04/02 06:47 PM
satisdiction is another word which can be found in Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure, and Preposterous Words, although she has the definition slightly wrong. here's how this nonce word was used, apparently the one and only time, by Nathaniel Ward in 164something: "They desire not satisfaction, but satisdiction, whereof themselves must be judges."; implying the last word, or (OED) saying enough. Josepha, or her source, gives us enough said, which doesn't really fit the context. in any event, I wish fervently that I'd discovered this whilst the infamous "last word" thread was transpiring.

(w.m.)
Posted By: wwh Re: today's wwftd is... - 04/04/02 08:30 PM
So, plutarch's "omegatist" was anticipated by "satisdictator".

Lay on MacDuff, and damned be he who first calls hold, enough,

Nice post, tsuwm.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: today's wwftd is... - 04/04/02 11:55 PM
Ya' think Mrs. Byrne looked at "satis" and thought "enough"? If so, she just jumped to a logical conclusion.

Satisaction: enough done
Satisfriction: enough fought over
Satisfruition: enough accomplished--time to laze around and be fallow
Satisfunction: enough roles to carry out--time to say, "No."
Satisfiction: enough prevarication; time to spill the truth.

I could sit here and spill these stupidities out for a while, but will let someone else be the satisdictator here.

Best regards,
WordWeaver aka satisissatis

Posted By: tsuwm Re: today's wwftd is... - 04/05/02 03:47 AM
the only citation available for satisdiction is that of Mr. Ward, and I think if Josefa bothered to read it she didn't get it. more likely she just switched the meaning around to remove what she perceived as pomposity. furthermore and in the second place, it is well-formed, precisely from Latin satis (enough) + diction-em (saying): literally 'saying enough'.

let me give you another example: she defines rectalgia and proctalgia both as "a pain in the ass". I think dr. bill would agree that this gives short shrift to both words and the subtle distinction between them.

-joe pedant
Posted By: wwh Re: today's wwftd is... - 04/05/02 04:09 AM
Dear tsuwm: If you saw my post about having two beautiful girls shave off my pubic hair and tattoo mystic dot patterns from pubic symphysis to pelvic crests to aim laser on linear accelerator to fry both my prostate and give me an acute proctitis and proctalgia, you would understand my ability to comprehend those terms.
I do not see any use for the term rectalgia.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: today's wwftd is... - 04/05/02 01:35 PM

Proctalgia vs rectalgia?

Verba sapientiae est.

k

© Wordsmith.org