Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Nutriments - 11/22/01 12:23 PM
Nutriment doesn't appear to be a misspelling to my eye. I'm curious about why Anu sees it that way. Am I missing the obvious?

Anyway, it might be fun to construct a list of words having to do cirectly with the act of dining itself.

Prandial comes to mind, along with feast, epulation (feast again), tea, high tea, a coffee, a coffee klatsch (dunno the proper spelling of coffee here), breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper, picnic, buffet, smorgasboard, brunch, dining, supping, and snack.

Any others? There's one specifically for breakfast that escapes me now, but may return willy-nilly.

Best regards and a happy Thanksgiving,
WW

Posted By: wwh Re: Nutriments - 11/22/01 02:38 PM
In academic circles, a "collation" was the name of a bit of nutriment and beverage after a meeting.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Nutriments - 11/22/01 05:00 PM
possibly he sees 'nutrient' when he reads nutriment (or is that: reads nutrient when he sees nutriment).

Posted By: Keiva Re: Nutriments - 11/23/01 12:16 AM
Helen, you are in danger of losing your title of "Most food-related poster".

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Nutriments - 11/23/01 01:10 AM
Helen's in no danger from this quarter. Besides, not too many appear to be interested in continuing the list of words about dining...

Pig-pickin'
Seafood festival
Chili cookoffs
Weenie Roast
Fish Fry
Lua
Barbeque
Clambake
Roadkill Feast (really a wild game gathering)
Oyster Shucking
Lobster Fest
Brunswick Stew (very popular around here)
Chitterling Supper
Bake-off
Cakewalk
Pigroast
Cinco de Mayo
Taffy Pull
Tea Party
Wine Tasting
Octoberfest
Thanksgiving dinner
Donuts for Dad (we have 'em at our school)
Muffins for Mom (ditto)
Marshmallow roast

None of the above are really what I was hoping for, but I'll offer them in hopes that the more general terms will erupt.

DubDub

© Wordsmith.org