Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Keiva passable passible possibilities - 11/19/01 12:44 PM
passible: Capable of feeling, especially pain or suffering. Only the most sensitive of seats in the thinnest of pants worn by the most passible of owners will detect differing harmonies of the Accords."

Drive a road that's impassable
(Barely jack-assable):
Then you know "passible".

Posted By: Wordwind Re: passable passible possibilities - 11/19/01 01:17 PM
This passible stuff is bad news for me.... I tend to daydream when spoken to.... And now, when my ear picks up the p--able or p---ible form, I gonna have to backtrack like crazy to fill in the gaps where I wasn't listening. Then again, I wonder whether I've ever been in the company with a single soul who has used passible. I'd guess probably not...

However, all that said, I think of empathy... Would feeling someone else's pain, that ability of all good listeners, be empassibility? If not, I'm going to suggest the possibility of a good new word empassibility and add it to my personal lexicon. tsuwm is probably going to knock my personal lexicon down with the huff and puff of his great tsuwmnami...but I feel his passibility.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: passable passible possibilities - 11/19/01 02:20 PM
JFTR: Passible, (if you ever play it on a Scrabble board) also has its opposite, impassible.

Iif you want to attempt the implausible, you could impassion an impassive, impassible person, but you mind end up at an impassable impasse...

WW

Posted By: tsuwm Re: passable passible possibilities - 11/19/01 08:34 PM
>tsuwm is probably going to knock my personal lexicon down...

okay, windwinder, here it is (fwiw): it should be noted that OED2 notes that passible is Chiefly Theol.; that is, its usage has been limited mostly in reference to Christ's humanity and suffering. also, unpassible has been used as the opposite of both passible and passable, and in the first sense is equivalent to impassible, which is also Chiefly Theol..

anyways, use these in your personal lexicon with care, 'kay?

Posted By: wwh Re: passable passible possibilities - 11/19/01 09:20 PM
I notice Wordsmith gives a schwa for middle syllable of "passible". My dictionary gives "i" which I think is very desirable to be able to differentiate between spoken "passable" and "passible".

Posted By: Wordwind Re: passable passible possibilities - 11/20/01 01:56 AM
Thanks, tsuwm, for the more refined definition. Should Anu have included that refinement, I wonder?

WW

Posted By: wwh Re: passable passible possibilities - 11/20/01 04:07 AM
Dear tsuwm: so Wordsmith is invading your wwftd turf.

© Wordsmith.org