Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Alex Williams words from chess - 10/02/01 09:58 AM
Today's definition of checkmate seemed a little short to me: "1. A move that places the king in a position from which there is no escape, as every move results in defeat."

That could describe stalemate as well as checkmate. In the former position, the king is not in check but he will be in check as a result of every possible move. In checkmate, the king is in check and he will remain in check with every possible move.

Just splitting hairs. I do think the theme of words from chess is appropriate considering the events of this month.

Posted By: Keiva Re: words from chess - zugswang - 10/02/01 04:53 PM
Good point, Alex. Checkmate is a loss for the checkmated player; a stalemate counts as a drawn game. (The exact definition of "stalemate" is the situation where the player on-move is not in check but have has legal move, as every otherwise-legal move would violate the rule that you may not expose your king to immediate capture. A player with a weaker position often strives to avoid a loss by forcing a stalemate, or by the threat of a stalemate.)

The definition of zugzwang ["A position where one is forced to make an undesirable move."] is also inaccurate. Under that definition, zugzwang would include the perfectly ordinary situation where, in order to deal with a greater threat, you must make a lesser weakening in your position. This is mistaken: zugswang is the rare situation where although your position is perfectly tenable as it stands (that is, you would have no qualms if it were your opponent's turn to move), it is your turn to move and every available move would worsen your position.

Posted By: Keiva Re: words from chess - 10/03/01 09:30 AM
gambit (GAM-bit) noun: 1. An opening in which a minor piece is sacrificed to obtain a strategic advantage.

I believe it's almost always a pawn sacrificed, not a "minor piece". (The latter term means a bishop or knight). E.g., Danish Gambit (2 pawns), King's Gambit, Queen's Gambit, Scotch Gambit, Evans Gambit.

Posted By: maverick Re: words from chess - 10/03/01 12:22 PM
if you used a Bishop, would it be a Pawn Again Christian?

Posted By: consuelo Re: words from chess - 10/03/01 03:35 PM
Only if you raced that pawn all the way to the other side of the board!

© Wordsmith.org