Wordsmith.org
Posted By: of troy this weeks theme? - 06/20/01 01:50 PM
Mecca, redd, ogee

Only why didn't we start with aah-- or aardvark?

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: this weeks theme? - 06/20/01 02:03 PM
Good job figuring out the pattern, of troy. I noticed that each word has its letters in reverse alphabetical order, but missed the double letter progression.
Maybe he started with double c to make it less obvious?

Posted By: maverick Re: this weeks theme? - 06/20/01 02:08 PM
So maybe the double pattern describes the sequence? - "the set of words which have their letters in alphabetically challenged order and also contain a double letter, ranged in ascending alpha order of the double letters"

Posted By: Faldage Re: this weeks theme? - 06/20/01 02:32 PM
Or maybe the double letters are just a redd heering, ffolkes.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: this weeks theme? - 06/20/01 04:06 PM
Or maybe the double letters are just a redd heering, ffolkes.

Somehow I doubt he's hiding the real theme because he said that this week's theme was obvious.

Posted By: Bryan Hayward Unless he wanted to trick us. - 06/20/01 06:02 PM
You guys are *way* clever - I missed the "reverse alpha order" thing. :o You are so clever, he may feel a need to mislead. :)

Posted By: of troy Re: Unless he wanted to trick us. - 06/20/01 06:13 PM
actually reverse alphabetical order is pretty common theme-- as is all the vowels in (or in reverse) order-- or words that have all the vowels in them once, or just words that have all the vowels (not in order, and sometime more than once.

Anu (the wordsmith) has also invited people to be guest word smiths.. so if you know five words that are not yet in the archive that have an unusual theme.. He would like you to give details, (definations, citations.. but some guest word smith have done other things...) try your hand if you'd like...

Posted By: maverick Re: Unless he wanted to trick us. - 06/21/01 01:25 PM
he may feel a need to mislead

I think we've just been vugged, Helen

Posted By: of troy Re: Unless he wanted to trick us. - 06/21/01 01:36 PM
well, i thought it might be something new... it seems reverse (or straight) alphabetical order has been done so many times...

Posted By: Bryan Hayward Another idea. - 06/21/01 02:55 PM
So far, they are all places.

One to go to, one to breed in, one to go under, one to look in. I wonder if tomorrow will be a place as well.

Posted By: maverick Re: Another idea. - 06/21/01 04:15 PM
...unless it's a double-bluff, and anv's counting the ancient value of u...?

Posted By: drbubbles Re: Another idea. - 06/23/01 11:14 PM
Where I grew up, we didn't use "redd" to mean anything other than to clean up, or straighten up. We would "redd up" our rooms, etc. In fact, the first time I took someone not from the area back to my hometown, I had to translate it for him when a waitress said "the cook already redd up the kitchen."

Posted By: wwh Re: Another idea. - 06/24/01 12:32 AM
Could have had "toff" and "yegg"/

© Wordsmith.org