Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jane Luckner Words formed in error - 04/11/14 03:14 PM
'Antivenin', the medication used to treat people bitten by a snake, is now called "antivenom". But not by me!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Words formed in error - 04/11/14 03:25 PM
WELCOME
Posted By: csmoore Re: Words formed in error - 04/11/14 04:03 PM
Not to be captious, but I believe that such animals are actually ovoviviparous. (Or maybe I just like the sound of it.) Viviparous animals give birth to live young, as do mammals; ovoviviparous animals brood their eggs internally and deliver them after they have been hatched. Those that deliver eggs are oviparous. Perhaps the difference between ovoviviparous and viviparous mechanisms was not known at the time.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Words formed in error - 04/12/14 11:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Jane Luckner
'Antivenin', the medication used to treat people bitten by a snake, is now called "antivenom". But not by me!

Just asking. What do you call it?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Words formed in error - 04/12/14 03:54 PM
Originally Posted By: csmoore
Not to be captious, but I believe that such animals are actually ovoviviparous. (Or maybe I just like the sound of it.) Viviparous animals give birth to live young, as do mammals; ovoviviparous animals brood their eggs internally and deliver them after they have been hatched. Those that deliver eggs are oviparous. Perhaps the difference between ovoviviparous and viviparous mechanisms was not known at the time.

WELCOME
Posted By: Bazr Re: Words formed in error - 06/07/14 01:31 AM
ANTIVENIN is the proper term used by all those who know what they are talking about.
Posted By: A C Bowden Re: Antivenin/antivenom - 07/05/14 02:56 PM
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
In 1981, the World Health Organization decided that the preferred terminology in the English language would be venom and antivenom rather than venin and antivenin or venen and antivenene.
Posted By: Bazr Re: Antivenin/antivenom - 07/06/14 05:19 AM
Read this link for clarification: - Mechanism of Antivenom
© Wordsmith.org