Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Chris Lumpkin Nice Nelly - 04/16/13 06:36 PM
Having six hungry mouths to feed on a limited budget, my mom often served Sloppy Joes as a cheap and popular meal. However, my aunt took a somewhat antipodean approach to the same meal. Since she could not stand anything messy, including food, she served us Neat Nancies when we showed up for dinner. Nary a morsel of beef nor a molecule of sauce was allowed to escape the bun. For some strange reason, the Sloppy Joes always tasted better.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Nice Nelly - 04/16/13 07:27 PM
Makes me curious what a Sloppy Joe contains. Of course I could look it up but that would mean end of conversation. Neat Nancy does not appeal much to the imagination.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Nice Nelly - 04/16/13 10:48 PM
Ground beef, often sautéed with onions and peppers, mixed with a tomato (often ketchup-based) sauce, perhaps some brown sugar and additional spices; served as a sandwich on a hamburger bun or something similar. Almost impossible to eat without wearing some of it. Very messy. A standard menu item in the US school lunch program in the 1950s and '60s. Maybe it still is.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Nice Nelly - 04/16/13 10:52 PM
Using "Manwich" and ground beef, they are an easy
supper or lunch. I eat them often and use bread
if no buns are handy.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Nice Nelly - 04/17/13 12:01 AM
They also are called by many names, depending on where you are in the US. ON the Great Plains alone, I have heard Sloppy Joe, Tavern, Barbecue, Manwich (a commercial name), and another which is escaping me at the moment!

What about your neck of the woods?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Nice Nelly - 04/17/13 07:44 PM
Thank you mr.Trom. I'll stick to toast and Tasty Tom.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Nice Nelly - 04/18/13 08:35 AM
You may be onto something there.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Nice Nelly - 04/19/13 09:08 PM
Not much, simply a tastier tomato. :))
Posted By: EnhanceEeryHilt Re: Nice Nelly - 08/22/13 03:12 AM
The most fascinating thing in relation to school lunches:the renowned 'Mystery Meat'...what is even in that stuff? Horse meat?
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Nice Nelly - 08/22/13 07:41 AM
At nearly 50 years past public school lunches, I find it still a mystery. And they're still serving it.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Nice Nelly - 08/22/13 04:04 PM
Peter, would we really want to know???
Posted By: Faldage Re: Nice Nelly - 08/23/13 12:35 AM
I don't think it's so much a question of what animal the meat comes from as it is what they did to it before laying it out on the serving line.
Posted By: Bazr Downunder - 06/16/14 01:53 AM
Nothing beats a good ol' pie & dead horse (sauce)
© Wordsmith.org