Wordsmith.org
Posted By: NBrown Spoonerism - 02/19/13 08:26 PM
I am a ong time pastor who conducts many weddings. I use post-its in my service book liberally so I do not forget the name of the bride and groom. The day before the 'simple' wedding with just a few guests, the bride got very nervous, and I ended up absorbing that energy. I went through my notes repeatedly that day, double-checking everything and held it together with multiple references to Dan and Jill, until,yes, at the very end, so relieved to be done, introduced them as "Jan and Dill." The bride whipped around and scolded me. I returned thier honorarium.
Posted By: faardie Re: Spoonerism - 02/19/13 09:30 PM
I once stood on a road from where I saw a gushing geothermal vent of steam. On the other side there was a large timber yard, heavy timber stacked high. It occurred to me that I was looking at a perfect spoonerism. A steam bore and a beam store.
Posted By: Norma L Gertson Re: Spoonerism - 02/20/13 12:39 AM
I have two dogs, Mollie and Darby. It is not unusual for me to call for them as Dollie & Marby...

Many years ago, my best friend came up with the term "ninger fail file". To this day, when I file my nails, I smile.
Posted By: bassorbase Re: Spoonerism - 02/20/13 12:47 AM
When I first moved to the small (then) town of Sumner, WA before the time of digital catalogues in libraries, I inquired about a book called "Old Forts of the Far West" (Herbert M Hart) and, of course, spoonered those two "F" words. The kindly little old lady at the desk issued me a library card anyway and found me the book.
Posted By: Sara Dillinger Re: Spoonerism - 02/20/13 01:06 AM
Interesting that this word should show up Monday. Just Sunday, as I was unpacking my son's lunch tote, I asked him if he had used his "spork" or "fooner". Later, I explained to him that there was a word for mixing up the initial letter of two words: "foonerism". He didn't seem to enjoy the pun .
Posted By: andidextrous Re: Spoonerism - 02/20/13 08:02 AM
British comedian Ronnie Barker was a master of wordplay, with spoonerisms being a favourite.

Here's an example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtL8PTpsalA

Another sketch ended with the words 'I can't spoon your standerisms any longer!'
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Spoonerism - 02/20/13 04:41 PM
Welcome to all of you.

Somewhere in elementary school I picked
up calling a pair of scissors by the
term 'skizzers', and have used the term ever since.
Posted By: Auric Goldfinger Re: Spoonerism - 02/21/13 09:32 AM
Spoonerist joke anyone?

What's the difference between scoring a try at rugby and Amsterdam?
One's a touch down, the other's a Dutch town.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Spoonerism - 02/21/13 01:28 PM
Repetitive typo spooners in my own language.
One wrong key hit changes a letter's ending from "tot ziens' to "tot zoens" ( "be seeing you" to "be kissing you").
Or from "hartelijke groet" to "haterlijke" groet".
( "warmhearted greetings" to "hateful greetings"). A one hit difference between friendship and love and love and hatred.
Posted By: J.D. Re: Spoonerism - 02/21/13 04:03 PM
I am thrilled to know that there is a "word" for my affliction! Even as a young person I would flip sounds around. Yew Nork was a favorite place to visit! Even now as a 50 something adult, I create spoonerisms nearly every day......
Posted By: Ricky Re: Spoonerism - 02/22/13 03:42 PM
When I was young, my grandfather always called me a smart feller if I said something clever.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Spoonerism - 02/22/13 04:49 PM
Sort of like the old one:
"You're so bright, I'll bet your father calls you son/sun".

WELCOME,great post.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Spoonerism - 02/22/13 11:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Ricky
When I was young, my grandfather always called me a smart feller if I said something clever.

heh
Posted By: Virginia Paulsen Re: Spoonerism - 02/23/13 05:17 AM
This reminded me of a dear friend my parents had who, when asked what she wanted to drink, once replied, "A vonic and todka, please." Ever since, we renamed that particular cocktail.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Spoonerism - 02/23/13 09:20 AM
A friend, wishing to celebrate his divorce, suggested that we go to the saloon for a beverage. I suggested that if he wanted decoration for the party he might consider a balloon for the severage.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Balloon - 02/23/13 01:05 PM
That's a good one!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Balloon - 02/23/13 04:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
That's a good one!

Indeed!
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Balloon - 02/24/13 01:44 AM
I thank you both.
© Wordsmith.org