Wordsmith.org
Posted By: gaylew verbs: denegrating Yoda - 09/24/12 02:17 PM
I am shocked that you do not understand the difference between "try" and "do." As a surgeon teaching my residents, I often remind them of Yoda's wise statement that there is no try, only do. It has to do with the attitude with which one approaches the task, fearful of the possibility of failure, or confident of the expectation of success. Fear of failure increases its likelihood.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: verbs: denegrating Yoda - 09/24/12 02:28 PM
one assumes that you are addressing yourself to Anu's commentary on Yoda's words. Anu is highly unlikely to respond here, or even notice - you'd do better using the "Contact Us" link at the top of the page; you might even see a response in the weekly AWADmail.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: verbs: denegrating Yoda - 09/24/12 04:05 PM
Crepitate:
Rice Krispies??
Posted By: Aramis Re: verbs: denegrating Yoda - 09/24/12 08:20 PM
Now worse, things are. Weigh in here Anna should.
Posted By: Candy Re: verbs: denegrating Yoda - 09/25/12 09:40 AM
Originally Posted By: gaylew
I am shocked that you do not understand the difference between "try" and "do." As a surgeon teaching my residents, I often remind them of Yoda's wise statement that there is no try, only do. It has to do with the attitude with which one approaches the task, fearful of the possibility of failure, or confident of the expectation of success. Fear of failure increases its likelihood.

Oh...I think you will find 'we' do understand the difference.
Its like the 'self fulfulling prophesy'
Posted By: BranShea Re: verbs: denegrating Yoda - 09/26/12 07:41 AM
Now worse, things are.

Anna...."The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit,
Shall lure her back......."
Posted By: Faldage Re: verbs: denegrating Yoda - 09/26/12 11:24 AM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Now worse, things are.

Anna...."The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit,
Shall lure her back......."

But give her to a decent copy-editor ...
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: verbs: denegrating Yoda - 09/26/12 12:23 PM
Anyroad, I wouldn't want to cancel even half a line of Anna's wit, nor wash out her words with my tears!

(Didn't know you were a fan of the Tent-Makere, Branny - good on you!)[color:#666666][/color]
Posted By: BranShea Re: verbs: denegrating Yoda - 09/26/12 01:28 PM
smile I have a much loved 1947 illustrated Random House edition. I violated the text by changing it to her. Shame on me!
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: verbs: denegrating Yoda - 09/26/12 03:42 PM
Mines an illustrated adition by Collins - with all five editions, and an index to the changes between each edition! A lovely book, which is always within reach as I sit at the computer.
And as to changing It to Her, Fitzgerald took much more drastic liberties, so I wouldn't worry. laugh
Posted By: jenny jenny Re: verbs: denegrating Yoda - 09/26/12 10:28 PM
And praise be him.
Fitzgerald transmuted the Persian meanings into English art.
Praise be Fitzgerald. ()
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: verbs: denegrating Yoda - 09/27/12 10:23 AM
You are quite right about that, jj ! And he was for ever searching to improve his translations to not only captue the spirit of the original, but to improve the artistry of his translation.
© Wordsmith.org