Wordsmith.org
Posted By: PrestonSanJose Apostrophe Hell - 09/03/12 04:48 PM
Now, there you go again, Anu's Garg, missin' the point. If you took the time to read my dictionary, you'd see that apostrophe's derivation's from Greek apo ‘from’ + strephein ‘to turn.’ All this apostrophe's hell's sign is tryin' to say is: "to turn from these evils". As soon as I figure out what is "P.K'S", I'll pr'bly turn away from it, too. wink
Posted By: anaconda13 Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/04/12 02:52 PM
politic'ly kirrect's
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/04/12 04:43 PM
Where is the link to your dictionary, PrestonSanJose?
this refers to the first post. I tried to "quote"
but my "quote" button is not working.
Posted By: Candy Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/05/12 12:37 PM
(the quote button is not working here for me either, Luke)

But in answer to PSJ's post.....PK's downunder is a popular chewing gum
maybe evil to some??
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/05/12 04:06 PM
I note that, perhaps coincidentally, the P.K logo on the gum wrapper has no period after the K, either. why is that?
"I would rather live in Apostrophe Hell than in Grammarnazilandia!"
Posted By: Candy Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/06/12 11:07 AM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
I note that, perhaps coincidentally, the P.K logo on the gum wrapper has no period after the K, either. why is that?

Good observation TS. There was a 'contact' button within that info...so I emailed that question. If I get an answer, I'll let you know.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/06/12 12:17 PM
I note that it seems to be only in the context of the wrapper that the second period is missing. It's there in all the other copy.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/06/12 01:41 PM
I noted that too, and that actually triggered my question..
Posted By: Candy Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/07/12 09:04 AM
Well...I've had reply already, but it hasn't really answered my question...so I have asked again.

September 06, 2012

Dear Cas,

Thank you for contacting us at The Wrigley Company. It is always a pleasure to hear from consumers, and we are happy to answer any queries you may have.

In answer to your query, the initials PK® are derived from a slogan that originated many years ago, in the development of our strict packaging codes - specifically "Packed tight - Kept right."

Thank you for contacting The Wrigley Company. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1300 721 831 (within Australia) or 0800 408 364 (within New Zealand).

Sincerely,

Barbra Nungester
Consumer Care Representative
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/07/12 03:32 PM
At least you got the beginnings of an answer and were not
brushed off like so many big corporations have the tendency
to do.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/07/12 09:13 PM
But did you get any coupons?
Posted By: K'Akawaana Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/09/12 01:12 PM
To the reporter commenting on the photo of the banner: Thank you, thank you, thank you, for making it possible for me to rest in the assurance that there is no hell. I place my faith in you. Can I get a written hold harmless and indemnity agreement on that? (And thanks for the quote from "Devil's Dust".)

Furthermore, can't we all agree, as a semantic proposition and in the interest of cultural harmony, to stop calling the little thing an "apostrophe" and start using the more politically correct phraseology of "comma to the top"?

K'Akawaana O'leona Magee
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/09/12 04:51 PM
Heaven knows, let's get politically correct.
Posted By: Candy Apostrophe - 09/10/12 12:00 PM
from AWADmail Issue 532 (twitter.com/WstonesOxfordSt)

'I saw the apostrophe on my way to work this morning. It's not looking too well'

Posted By: K'Akawaana Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/13/12 10:54 AM
Big corporations employ a lot of people, have big payrolls, pay big payroll taxes, provide health insurance and retirement plans, pay big office rents, make a lot of good things and provide a lot of services that people buy and pay sales taxes on. Are you getting the picture? Big Corporations - Good. Big Government - Bad. "The business of America is business." Get into the game. Have some fun. Make some money. If it makes you feel guilty, give it away.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Apostrophe Hell - 09/13/12 03:13 PM
Are you referring all that to me?
I don't have any argument. It's all about money.
© Wordsmith.org