Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Sonny redound - 06/12/12 07:20 PM
The word "redound" resonates in my ears from repeatedly hearing my father use it in his morning prayers. As a young lad, I didn't really understand what it meant, or how my father knew it, given his 8th grade education. I now realize it was used once in the original King James Version Bible, 2 Corinthians 4:15, "For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God."
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: redound - 06/13/12 01:26 AM
OK. Welcome.
Posted By: Jackie Re: redound - 06/13/12 03:12 AM
Yes, and look at this:
ETYMOLOGY:
From Old French redonder (to overflow), from Latin redundare (to overflow), from red-/re- (back) + undare (to surge). Ultimately from the Indo-European root wed- (water, wet), which also gave us water, winter, hydrant, redundant, otter, and vodka. Earliest documented use: before 1382.

Is that not amazing?!

What I'd like to know is how we got rebound and redound; two such similar words with such similar meanings.
Posted By: joylederman Re: redound - 06/14/12 09:54 AM
Dyslexia?
Posted By: Faldage Re: redound - 06/14/12 10:31 AM
Or pure chance. The Latin roots for redound and rebound, redundare and (re)bombitire respectively, are too significantly different to suggest that there is any relation between the two words. I believe it was Isaac Asimov who said, in regard to something else, "It would be surprising if such coincidences never did occur."
Posted By: tsuwm Re: redound - 06/14/12 05:05 PM
and yet there is a connection between hydrant and otter..
Posted By: Faldage Re: redound - 06/14/12 07:27 PM
Not to mention whore and charity.
Posted By: Jackie Re: redound - 06/15/12 03:35 AM
[snort]
Posted By: BranShea Re: redound - 06/15/12 09:34 PM
smile
© Wordsmith.org