Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Mit Word of the Day: Foursquare - 05/15/12 12:38 PM
I'd never come across foursquare as an adjective/adverb before.

In school, foursquare was the name of a game we played in which every player occupied one of four squares outlined in the asphalt, bouncing a ball between them. It was a bit more complicated than that, but I can't really be bothered going into detail. Another thing called foursquare I know of is some sort of social site in which members post their locations from their mobile phone. Anyone know of other foursquares?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Word of the Day: Foursquare - 05/15/12 02:43 PM
re: use of foursquare as adj/adv

I think Anu missed the opportunity to emphasize the inherent strength of a four-square position.

That tower of strength Which stood four~square to all the winds that blew! - Alfred Tennyson, Ode on the death of the Duke of Wellington (1852)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Word of the Day: Foursquare - 05/15/12 03:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Mit
I'd never come across foursquare as an adjective/adverb before.

In school, foursquare was the name of a game we played in which every player occupied one of four squares outlined in the asphalt, bouncing a ball between them. It was a bit more complicated than that, but I can't really be bothered going into detail. Another thing called foursquare I know of is some sort of social site in which members post their locations from their mobile phone. Anyone know of other foursquares?

For whatever reason we have a number of Churches that use
the term in the title of their Church,e.g., Foursquare
Berean, Foursquare Baptist, etc.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Word of the Day: Foursquare - 05/15/12 05:39 PM
Foursquare Gospel, International Church of the fundamentalist Christian Church and evangelistic missionary body organized in California by Aimee Semple McPherson and Minnie Kennedy in 1927.

It derived its name from the fourfold teaching of Christ as savior, healer, baptizer, and coming king. The parent church is Angelus Temple in Los Angeles. Ministers are trained at the Lighthouse of International Foursquare Evangelism (LIFE) Bible Training College, a coeducational institution in Los Angeles. There are 228,000 members in 1,850 churches in the United States and Canada (1999).
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Word of the Day: Foursquare - 05/15/12 05:44 PM
Curious, thanks.
Posted By: Mit Re: Word of the Day: Foursquare - 05/20/12 08:55 AM
That's pretty interesting. Did you look all that up, or already know it? Because if you already knew it that's some impressive trivia.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Word of the Day: Foursquare - 05/20/12 01:30 PM
It's looked up trivia. I wouldn't know about all those denominations.

"as here are reported to be approximately 38,000 Christian denominations, many of which cannot be verified to be significant, only those denominations with Wikipedia articles will be listed in order to ensure that all entries on this list are notable and verifiable."

Just look at the discouraging list of un-unanimity. list
Posted By: Mit Re: Word of the Day: Foursquare - 05/30/12 05:21 AM
Wow. That's huge and slightly scary.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Word of the Day: Foursquare - 05/30/12 04:17 PM
"That they all may be one"....Christ: last supper.
© Wordsmith.org