Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bezerkazoid phat - 03/05/12 02:40 PM
I enjoyed looking up "backronyms"; it reminded me of CMYK; lots of professionals in the printing/design industry (who don't know) think the K is for Black b/c it might be confusing for B to be for Black and then get confused with a B for Blue (Cyan really), but the K stands for "Key color". Incidentally my son had an APGAR of 9,9 too!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: phat - 03/05/12 03:32 PM
grin
Posted By: theprophet Re: phat - 03/05/12 08:12 PM
Phat has origins in Ebonics.....In the 60's musicians talked about phat grooves or rhythms.
Posted By: Parola Re: phat - 03/06/12 03:24 PM
Anyone who has been to Vietnam or around any immigrant enclave of Vietnamese in the USA where their stores and business post signs will have seen Phát which loosely translated means play or happy. Phúc means blessed, and can also refer to the Buddah. A popular restaurant or food stand name is "Phát Phúc" or "happy Buddah" which causes many English speakers to snicker and giggle.
Larry Ray
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: phat - 03/06/12 03:56 PM
snicker and giggle
Thanks.
Posted By: Jackie Re: phat - 03/07/12 02:40 AM
It became popular here with kids around 1997; at that time it meant Pretty Hot and Tempting. I never did figure out whether there was a comma after pretty or not.
Posted By: melissajcx5bXK Props - 03/07/12 11:39 PM
While the shortened version "props" may not have been used until the 1980s, the term "propers" was used in the song recorded by Aretha Franklin in the sixties "Respect". She wails, " Give me my propers when you get home".This suggests its use long before the song was written! I'm new to the list and couldn't find how to start a new topic or a new post.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Props - 03/07/12 11:47 PM
click on Topic Options within the specific forum you want to use; or, click on Forums, select a forum, and then New Topic.
© Wordsmith.org