Wordsmith.org
Posted By: MitchellB Bucholic - 02/28/12 02:01 PM
Also derived from "bous" is the endearing nickname Bossie for a cow.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Bucholic - 03/01/12 03:47 AM
I like that! Thanks, and welcome aBoard.
Posted By: Bezerkazoid Re: Bucholic - 03/05/12 03:12 PM
I liked finding out that buos was the actual word for ox. It helps make sense of boustrophedon, as the ox plows. I teach typography, and boustrophedic is how we describe the way ancient scripts were written in times before most cultures decided on a regular way to put down words on paper (such as we do, from left to right, and then down to the next line, and then from left to right again). Many cultures wrote in boustrophedic fashion.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Bucholic - 03/05/12 03:34 PM
Interesting fact, yes, one which I had placed on the
back burner until you brought it up. Thanks.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Bucholic - 03/06/12 02:38 AM
tsuwm! One more time, please? [batting eyelashes e]
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Bucholic - 03/06/12 03:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Bezerkazoid
Many cultures wrote in boustrophedic fashion.

or perhaps, better, boustrophedonic

(I don't suppose I addressed your question, J.)
Posted By: Jackie Re: Bucholic - 03/07/12 02:41 AM
Oh, don't you remember it? Or are you going to make me LIU?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Bucholic - 03/07/12 04:07 AM
oh..
you must be thinking of this (although I don't know what made me think of it, given your vague reference..)

Strange new words I relish,
Like nectar or tonic.
I now know my line printer
Is boustrophedonic.

and I also recall that, when this was posted wayback in 2002 (or so), we hashed out that line printers didn't really print boustrophedonically. (they had to reverse the letters in the reversed path so you could actually read them! but still..)
Posted By: Faldage Re: Bucholic - 03/07/12 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
we hashed out that line printers didn't really print boustrophedonically. (they had to reverse the letters in the reversed path so you could actually read them! but still..)

Back when I was a kid, when line printers were line printers, they didn't print anything like boustrophedonically. They printed a whole line at once. They had 80 type wheels that lined up to the characters that were to be printed and then, Wham! they printed the whole line. Kids these days don't know what it was like back in the Golden Age.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Bucholic - 03/08/12 03:45 AM
Ohh-hhh, thank you! And gosh, yes, if I see boustro- anything, I have to see/hear the rhythm of that little verse!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Bucholic - 03/08/12 09:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Ohh-hhh, thank you! And gosh, yes, if I see boustro- anything, I have to see/hear the rhythm of that little verse!
It's a walz Jackie, a Viennese waltz with chocolate and whipped cream.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Bucholic - 03/09/12 03:14 AM
chocolate and whipped cream No, no, Branny, weren't you listening? It's got relish, nectar, and tonic. Yes, you may kill me now.
Posted By: Candy Re: Bucholic - 03/09/12 10:27 AM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm

Strange new words I relish,
Like nectar or tonic.
I now know my line printer
Is boustrophedonic.

I like that. And I wasn't around when it was first posted....who wrote it?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Bucholic - 03/09/12 11:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
chocolate and whipped cream No, no, Branny, weren't you listening? It's got relish, nectar, and tonic.
Yes, yes, sure, but how combine a Viennese walz with relish, nectar and tonic? Very jambolic. Happy J-day!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Bucholic - 04/06/12 01:28 PM
jambolic laugh I love it! And, thank you. Sorry to be so tardy replying. I have had more-than-a-cold-but-not-quite-the-flu for weeks now, and even now I'm still coughing some. One of those thought-I-was-about-well-then-it-slammed-me-again things. frown
© Wordsmith.org