Wordsmith.org
Posted By: doublecross Plurals treated as singular - 02/22/12 04:20 PM
I like the theme of this week. I wonder if we will get 'opera' (quite likely) and 'panini' (less likely)!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Plurals treated as singular - 02/22/12 06:49 PM
Panini? (welcome) Ain't those little crispy buns? Never knew it as singular. Is it really? I came across a sentence in the book I'm now reading : "Like his sister Marguerite, Francis wanted to tolerate the Protestants, but the sect were not content with being let alone." etc.
Never knew sect is a plural singular.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Plurals treated as singular - 02/22/12 08:44 PM
>>but the sect were not content with being let alone. etc.
Never knew sect is a plural singular.<<

Hmmm! Interesting, Bran. I think it might depend on what you're saying about the sect. E.g., I would definitely say, "The sect was a strict one," rather than "were"
In the e.g. that you give, the context is the members of the sect were not comtent, whereas in my e.g. it is a function of the sect itself. I don't know if I'm right or not (and someone here will soon tell me! smile ) but that seems a logical analysis.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Plurals treated as singular - 02/22/12 11:23 PM
This is not a standard in American English. It is fairly common in British English and often going the way Rhuby suggests. Since Anu mentioned opera in the introduction to Monday's word I doubt it will be in the week's word.
Posted By: talesoftrivia Re: Plurals treated as singular - 02/23/12 11:28 AM
In the U.S., anyway, "panini" is consistently used as both singular and plural in every place I've been that sells them. I tried ordering, "I'll have a ... panino, please" a couple of times, and got a strange look each time. By the way, again at least in the U.S., they aren't crispy buns, they're warm sandwiches on sliced bread pressed flat in a grill press. In Italy, I remember the word referring to a cold sandwich on a small baguette.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Plurals treated as singular - 02/23/12 09:47 PM
Thank you. I've done the image search. Indeed panini are flat and pressed in a toaster, also the italian where the baguette is pressed. They are very similar to the French 'croque monsieur' ou 'croque madame' and the Dutch 'tosti'.
Posted By: Candy Re: Plurals treated as singular - 02/24/12 11:41 AM
I've seen Martha Stewart make 'panini' on TV...its a favourite of hers. The word is not common here in Oz.

And I agree with FF...Anu seldom repeats himself, so I doubt he will include opera in this weeks list.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Plurals from little latin and less Greek - 02/24/12 02:42 PM
opera

This week reminds me of a favorite subject of mine: incorrect Latin plurals. Opus 'work' and *opii (correct opera), virus 'poison; slime' and *virii (there is no correct plural, the word only occurs in Latin as a singular), octopus and *octopi (correct Greek octopodes), syllabus and *syllabi (correct syllabus), same with apparatus and *apparati (apparatus).

In english, the plurals I would use are: opus and opuses (opera has a new specialized meaning in English), virus and viruses, octopus and octopuses, etc.
© Wordsmith.org