Wordsmith.org
Posted By: RonDavis Fool's Errand - 10/24/11 12:05 PM
"Errand" means going somewhere to get something. My understanding of "Fool's Errand" is that a beginner in some group, e.g. employment, is sent to obtain something that sounds plausible but does not exist, such as a reel of #8 screw threads. This is not inconsistent with the AWAD e-magazine, but much more specific.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Fool's Errand - 10/25/11 12:43 AM
Going somewhere to get something is an example of an errand, but today when I left the house to run errands I took lunch to my wife at work, went to the radio station to record an ad for a play, to the bank to make a deposit, to the orchestra office to explain an expenditure. The only thing I "got" was a receipt for the deposit! I think of an errand as going somewhere to accomplish something.

Peter
Posted By: Jackie Re: Fool's Errand - 10/25/11 01:33 AM
Hi, Ron--nice to see you here again! To your "Errand" means going somewhere to get something. , I would add ...or do something.

Aside: if I tried to get all members here to agree on what "should" be posted, then I'd be on a fool's errand.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Fool's Errand - 10/25/11 06:11 AM
What, you mean rules, Jackie? Where's the fun in that?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Fool's Errand - 10/25/11 03:02 PM
There are those who have their own 'unwritten' rules
on the site, and are upset when others don't follow them.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Fool's Errand - 10/26/11 12:33 AM
Well, I have one "rule" that I'll state again: please, let's not act ugly towards each other.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Fool's Errand - 10/26/11 07:25 AM
Yup.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Fool's Errand - 10/26/11 12:56 PM
At first, I thought errand might be related to errant (as in knight errant) 'roving, wandering', but a quick trip to the dictionary fixed that assumption. It's from the Old English ǣrend 'message, embassy, news, tidings'.
© Wordsmith.org