Wordsmith.org
Posted By: mmcgown bada-bing older than 1965 - 09/08/11 06:31 PM
I'm sure I remember the phrase bada-bing, bada-boom from longer ago than 1965. In my head, I associate it with Jackie Gleason. After a bit of a search, I turned up this page: [http://www.mentalfloss.com/trivia/facts/archives/1637]

Quote:
Pat Cooper (born Pasquale Caputo) is a Brooklyn-born comedian who based many of his routines on his Italian-American upbringing. He was known for his rapid-fire, rat-a-tat delivery, along with his penchant for peppering his routine with many Italian-influenced Brooklynisms, such as “fuhgeddaboudit” (forget about it), “whattamigonnado” and “Bam, bam, bam,” all accompanied by eloquent gestures. In 1958, he premiered a routine entitled “The Italian Wedding” during which he used the phrase “bada-boom, bada-bing” in between descriptions of relatives who were scarfing down piles of capicolla sandwiches. An agent caught his act and booked him on The Jackie Gleason Show.

Beyond this, Cooper was on Jackie Gleason many times as far back as 1953, and while I have no proof, I think Cooper and Gleason were both using the phrase even before 1958.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: bada-bing older than 1965 - 09/08/11 07:49 PM
hi m,
you should use the Feedback link for this, as Anu may not see or acknowledge it here.
Posted By: mmcgown Re: bada-bing older than 1965 - 09/08/11 10:03 PM
Thank you. Newbies typically make these errors and I'm definitely new! I hope I manage to get this in the right place!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: bada-bing older than 1965 - 09/08/11 10:47 PM
>the right place

it's debatable; there's a Feedback link on the bottom of this page, there's a Feedback link on the Today's Word page, and there's a Contact Us link on this page too. probly one link is both the same, but I've had good results in the past with the Contact Us link.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: bada-bing older than 1965 - 09/08/11 11:41 PM
Originally Posted By: mmcgown
Thank you. Newbies typically make these errors and I'm definitely new! I hope I manage to get this in the right place!

Right or wrong, whatever.
WELCOME MMCGOWN
Posted By: Candy Re: bada-bing older than 1965 - 09/10/11 02:55 AM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
>the right place

it's debatable; there's a Feedback link on the bottom of this page, there's a Feedback link on the Today's Word page, and there's a Contact Us link on this page too. probly one link is both the same, but I've had good results in the past with the Contact Us link.

But of course, MMCGOWN don't let that stop you posting here.
© Wordsmith.org