Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Blacksmith What to avoid when using words. - 12/10/10 02:05 PM
I enjoyed this week's theme, but couldn't help feeling it would have been more appropriate several weeks ago, when the election campaigns were at their height here in the USA. We were bombarded with multiple, egregious examples of all of this week's words, along with obfuscation, vitriolic hyperbole, misstatements, verbal contortions, and just general (vulgar expression unsuitable for this forum).

A relevant quote: "English is the perfect language for politicians; one can talk for three hours without saying a flippin' thing." I don't know the author of this one, but any help in finding him or her would be appreciated.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: What to avoid when using words. - 12/10/10 02:57 PM
perhaps it was a variation on this theme:

English is the perfect language for preachers because it allows you to talk until you think of what to say.
- Garrison Keillor
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: What to avoid when using words. - 12/10/10 03:08 PM
A relevant quote: "English is the perfect language for politicians; one can talk for three hours without saying a flippin' thing." I don't know the author of this one, but any help in finding him or her would be appreciated.

Not sure about the quotation. A googling (link) reveals that Garrison Keillor said something similar.

I'd think any language is capable of being used in the pursuit of saying nothing. I am reminded of a quotation (without citation) of a French grammarian revealing how French syntax exactly mapped the sequence of thoughts in the human brain.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: What to avoid when using words. - 12/10/10 03:12 PM
>A googling (link) reveals that Garrison Keillor said something similar.

jus call me Mikey Mantled! < g >
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: What to avoid when using words. - 12/10/10 03:25 PM
ooh, haven't had a good mantling in a long while!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: What to avoid when using words. - 12/10/10 09:01 PM
jus call me Mikey Mantled! < g >

I was in medias googling when you did, too. But if you want to call it a mantle, it's okay with me.

-- zmj (Ole King Kohelmann)
Posted By: Faldage Re: What to avoid when using words. - 12/11/10 12:30 AM
Better to say that tsuwm pipped Nuncle Z.
Posted By: Candy Re: What to avoid when using words. - 12/11/10 01:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Blacksmith

A relevant quote: "English is the perfect language for politicians; one can talk for three hours without saying a flippin' thing."

Politicians, Preachers and Lawyers are guilty of this!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: What to avoid when using words. - 12/11/10 02:51 AM
Politicians, Preachers and Lawyers are guilty of this!

And they can all do it in any language spoken.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: What to avoid when using words. - 12/11/10 03:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Better to say that tsuwm pipped Nuncle Z.

by 11 minutes?! that's applying 'to pip' with quite a broad brush.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: How to avoid whistling while yer p***ing - 12/11/10 05:42 AM
by 11 minutes?! that's applying 'to pip' with quite a broad brush.

Yeah, well, when i hit the Reply button, you were nowhere to be seen. I am afraid I'm a bit old, and I tend to meander whilst googling. It takes me a while to spell check and otherwise proofread. I can say in all honesty that I did not see your post when I was in medias edit. Of course, you have not answered my accusation that you ignored my posts by a day or so about redundancy in language being a feature and not a bug. But, let's let bygones be WTF.

PS, if you want an apology I'd be happy to offer you one.

PPS, I apologize.
The golden age of apologies.

First people offended and were punished for it.
Then people offended, apologized and were punished a bit less.
Then people offended, apologized and were not punished.
Now people apologize, commit the offense and move on pleasantly.
Posted By: Faldage Re: How to avoid whistling while yer p***ing - 12/11/10 12:43 PM
I'm sorry that some among you took my comments wrong and I apologize for your ignorance.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: singin' in the pantry - 12/11/10 01:38 PM
I'm sorry that some among you took my comments wrong and I apologize for your ignorance.

Pipped again, speaking virtually speaking ...
Posted By: tsuwm Re: singin' in the pantry - 12/11/10 02:50 PM
I ain't sorry for nuttin, and furthermoreover and in the second place, I'm still grinnin. < g >
- Mikey, pickin and grinnin
Originally Posted By: Faldage
They are just jidding.
© Wordsmith.org