Wordsmith.org
Posted By: quark tmesi - 12/01/10 03:46 PM
Now I understand why Messi (FC Barcelona Player) is always surrounded by the other team players...
Posted By: bexter Re: tmesi - 12/01/10 04:32 PM
As are you quark, but in hadrons, you are never found alone but together in a teeny weeny hadron smile
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: tmesi - 12/01/10 09:17 PM
tmesi

The plural of tmesis is tmeses.
Posted By: quark Re: tmesi - 12/02/10 04:01 PM
And what is the meaning of the plural??
To put various words in the middle of another word or to put just one word, but doing it several times...
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: tmeses - 12/02/10 09:22 PM
And what is the meaning of the plural??

Well, you know, the word itself is one from a philological grammatical tradition. Tmesis. in Greek, originally meant 'cutting'. It's related to the words atom (indivisible, uncuttable), -tomy (as in appendectomy), etc. What I take the plural to mean is more than one example of the morphological process of tmesis. (BTW, in Greek, Sanskrit, and Germanic, some languages which have tmesis, separable verbal prefixes can detach under specific conditions from the verb. These verbal particle looks suspiciously like prepositions, but act otherwise. I learned the grammatical meaning of tmesis decades before it was given its expanded meaning of sticking expletives in-between the syllables of exclamations. Regardless, the established plural of tmesis is in established.
Posted By: BranShea Re: tmeses - 12/02/10 09:47 PM
Hey, yes I looked this up yesterday and saw, learned, that tmesis is much a part of our ordinary grammar. So we can have several tmeses in one sentence. It's just how we intertwine verbs and nouns and prefixes and the whole misjpoche.

I never knew the word for it, but I found it through Dutch search. It's called the same.
Posted By: Jackie Re: tmeses - 12/03/10 01:51 AM
It's nice to see you here again, Branny; seemed like you were not with us as much as usual, there for a while. [hug]
© Wordsmith.org