Wordsmith.org
Posted By: RonDavis Fjord and Cwm - 11/29/10 12:02 PM
It is not coincidental that two of Anu's examples, "fjord" and "cwm", are extremely important words in the English language, because they occur in the sentence

Quote:
Fjord bank cwms vext quiz.

which is the only sentence I know that makes sense, lacks abbreviations, and uses all the letters of the alphabet once each. The "w" in "cwm" is particularly important, because the Roman alphabet used for English is desperately short of vowels.
Posted By: bexter Re: Fjord and Cwm - 11/29/10 12:13 PM
Fjord bank cwms vext quiz

I can only count 21 letters and there are 26 in our alphabet...it's missing: G,H,L,P and Y.

The best one I know is

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

but that has 35 letters in it (E x3, O x4, U x2)
Posted By: Candy Re: Fjord and Cwm - 11/29/10 12:35 PM
Well I know what Fjord is, because we have Fjordland in New Zealand and it advertised as the.....The Eighth Wonder Of The World.

But I don't know CWM!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Fnord and Hume - 11/29/10 01:20 PM
the Roman alphabet used for English is desperately short of vowels

Technically speaking, General American has about 12 monophthongal vowels and about just as many diphthongs/triphthongs (link and link).
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Fnord and Hume - 11/29/10 03:47 PM
Learned it as:
"The quick brown fox just came over that hill to greet the
lazy poodle".
Posted By: mdevoto Re: Fnord and Hume - 11/29/10 04:02 PM
I'm posting to "sforzando" because I recognized the music: it's from the first movement of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.

But I got sidetracked by the alphabet sentences. I still think the best is "Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs," but here are a few others:

Wet squid's inky haze veils sex of jumping crab
Oozy mad jellyfish expectorated by quivering hawk
Exildes zouave packs barque with jolly frogmen
Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz
Doxy with charming buzz quaffs vodka juleps
By jove, my quick study of lexicography won a prize
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Fjord and Cwm - 11/29/10 04:23 PM
Originally Posted By: RonDavis
It is not coincidental that two of Anu's examples, "fjord" and "cwm", are extremely important words in the English language, because they occur in the sentence

Quote:

which is the only sentence I know that makes sense, lacks abbreviations, and uses all the letters of the alphabet once each. The "w" in "cwm" is particularly important, because the Roman alphabet used for English is desperately short of vowels.

I believe the sentence is CWM FJORD BANK GLYPHS VEXT QUIZ:
"Statues in the bowlshaped valley at the edge of the fjord
annoyed the old man".
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Fjord and Cwm - 11/29/10 04:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Candy
Well I know what Fjord is, because we have Fjordland in New Zealand and it advertised as the.....The Eighth Wonder Of The World.

But I don't know CWM!

I believe it's Welsh.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Fjord and Cwm - 11/29/10 09:14 PM
I believe it's Welsh.

It is.
Posted By: Candy Re: Fjord and Cwm - 11/29/10 09:32 PM
I see that, now, too. My AWAD update arrived in my inbox @ 5am this morning.....a few hrs late of the discussion last night.

my subscription must be the last of a very long list!
Posted By: Candy Re: Fnord and Hume - 11/29/10 09:42 PM
Originally Posted By: mdevoto
.... to "sforzando" because I recognized the music: it's from the first movement of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony....

Thats the first thing that came in my mind when reading AWAD this morning
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Fnord and Hume - 11/30/10 04:28 PM
/dont' read music except to sing with others, but
Beethoven did not come to mind.
Posted By: Candy Re: Fnord and Hume - 12/01/10 11:03 PM
I don't read music either Luke.....it was just when I read the explanation of the word.... Beethoven's 5th sprang to mind.
Posted By: RonDavis Re: Fjord and Cwm - 12/02/10 12:23 PM

Quote:

Did I post that? Is there any way I can blame the computer or the Internet or anything else for the missing word? LukeJanan8, thank you for the correction. You and I choose different orders of the words, but both make sense.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Fnord and Hume - 12/02/10 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Candy
I don't read music either Luke.....it was just when I read the explanation of the word.... Beethoven's 5th sprang to mind.

I see, I thought the picture was a piece of sheet music
from the symphony. (Love the 5th, but the 6th is my
favorite).
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Fjord and Cwm - 12/02/10 04:19 PM

Quote:

Did I post that? Is there any way I can blame the computer or the Internet or anything else for the missing word? LukeJanan8, thank you for the correction. You and I choose different orders of the words, but both make sense.

Glad to see we both have all the letters. I saved the
sentence from a previous site discussing words like this
one. That site is now defunct, however, sadly, had many
contributors: lots of discussions. I was intrigued by the
sentence so I saved it. Glad to have been a help. And I
surely would blame the computer-I do all the time.
© Wordsmith.org