Wordsmith.org
Posted By: spoonernut synonymous spoonerisms - 04/25/01 06:45 PM
I have started collecting synonymous spoonerisms. Before I learned about this talk room, I put one in an e-mail to Anu, and couple of weeks later it appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle Datebook crossword puzzle??? coincidence?? Anyhow I have 2 so far (actually 3, but one involvnig truckers is not appropriate for this site). the 2 I have found are:
butterfly=>flutter by
Iditarod dog sled race=>Iditarod slog dead race
Any one got any?

Posted By: Sparteye Re: synonymous spoonerisms - 04/25/01 07:31 PM
Hello, spoonernut, and welcome to the board.

Flutter by is a favorite, and I'm glad to learn your Iditarod spoonerism. I would also like to see your trucker one. To spare the more sensitive, may I suggest that you post the spoonerism in white type, so that only those really wishing to read it do so?

To post in white, do this:

<white>trucker => adgff</white>

with the angle brackets replaced with square brackets.

The finished product will look like this:

trucker => adgff

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: synonymous spoonerisms - 04/26/01 09:45 AM
Let me add my welcome to that of the Michigan Mouthpiece*, Spoonernut!

I used to spoonerise as a nervous thing when I was younger. Once when I took a forbidden short cut through the foyer of the main school building I was challenged by the rector, who asked me what I was doing. I said, "I'm just throwing goo, sir." He at least had the grace to see the funny side ...

*"Mouthpiece" used to be English slang for a lawyer ...

Posted By: teresag Re: synonymous spoonerisms - 04/26/01 01:58 PM
Why can't I resist saying spoononymous synerisms?

Posted By: Jackie Re: synonymous spoonerisms - 04/26/01 06:37 PM
Welcome, F.Z.

Making funny could get you arrested for counterfeiting.

Posted By: spoonernut Re: synonymous spoonerisms - 04/26/01 11:53 PM
Thanks to all who replied to my last post. The mystery #3 is simply the F word gerund in front of truckers. Spoonerized it means the same or almost the same thing, hence SYNONYMOUS. Last Sunday I found one not exactly synonymous, but is appropriate to the way I feel about it sometimes:
New York Times Crossword Puzzle==>New York Crimes! Toss word puzzle.

Posted By: rodward Re: synonymous spoonerisms - 04/27/01 07:56 AM
Welcome, spoonernut. Check back on the board for some recent spoonerism chat by using the Search facility.
My kids always refered to Runny Babbits.
Rod

Posted By: musick Re: synonymous spoonerisms - 05/05/01 02:05 PM
...involvnig truckers is not appropriate for this site...

Aside from the occasional political "right bashing" (Hi Rod) and mentioning the phrase "Ta-ta's" (Hi AnnaS), talking about the acts or actions apart from the terms used to describe them seems to be the "no-no". I'm sure, when you have enough "bite rashing" collected you can bury them "truckin fuckers" somewhere in the middle of a list where they'll be less offensive.

I included your typo "involvnig" as an example how coincedence plays its role all around you, as a very recent thread has spoke of the same digit switching happenstance. Anu seems to be silent enough where we will never know if he was a link in the spread to Frisco Bay, but since this has happened to you twice, I'd say you're on the "trite rack".

Welcome Aboard!

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: synonymous spoonerisms - 05/08/01 06:27 AM
Or is that spontaneous cynicism?

I am reminded of a comedian who recited a spoonerised version of Cindarella. And I quote "Cindarella was all bressed to go to the dall and she looked beerly rootiful".

Rapport was established superficially.
© Wordsmith.org