Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Altadena Annie Gallimaufry - 03/19/10 04:45 PM
The etymology as provided doesn't go far enough. While originating in Middle French, this is a good strong Scots word, one I learned while studying Scottish poetry at the University of Edinburgh many decades ago. I think of 'gallimaufry' particularly connected with the very flavorful Hugh MacDairmid. I wonder if the word is used generally across the English speaking world, or more particularly in areas with Scottish influences?

I'd also like to make a plea for more detailed etymology and usage descriptions. We 'wordies' always want more!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Gallimaufry - 03/19/10 05:08 PM
I use it on a file in which I keep odds and ends. I also use
"olio and ort". But I doubt it is used much here in the
Great Plains, never hear it. But around here most words have
to deal with eating, drinking,and football.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Gallimaufry - 03/19/10 05:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Altadena Annie
the very flavorful Hugh MacDairmid. I wonder if the word is used generally across the English speaking world, or more particularly in areas with Scottish influences? I'd also like to make a plea for more detailed etymology and usage descriptions. We 'wordies' always want more!

Link Dear Annie, I found found your Hugh MacDiarmid, but not the connection to flavorful.Could you tell more? Maybe someone here could react better.
Posted By: Altadena Annie Re: Gallimaufry - 03/22/10 05:53 PM
MacDairmid used the word "gallimaufry' in reference to his epic poem "A Drunk Man Looks at a Thistle", describing it as a 'hodge podge' of collected pieces fit into a unified framework. My adjective of 'flavorful' just refers to his delicious use of language, most often writing in Scots. It really must be read out loud to be fully appreciated. Of course I took a whole year of Scottish Poetry while at Edinburgh so I had a lot of help figuring it out.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Gallimaufry - 03/22/10 08:18 PM
Ah, I see.. Thanks. I found the title intriguing enough to go on the search and found at least an exerpt : Link - of the "Drunk Man who Looked at the Thistle"
It may wink an eye to the Poetry thread.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Gallimaufry - 03/23/10 03:31 AM
A belated Welcome aBoard, Annie. Your comments have made me go dig out a book my friend in Edinburgh gave me, which you probably have: Scots Poems to be Read Aloud, published by Luath Press in E-burgh. "An monie, monie mair collectit an wi an innin by Stuart McHardy."
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Gallimaufry - 03/23/10 03:20 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Ah, I see.. Thanks. I found the title intriguing enough to go on the search and found at least an exerpt : Link - of the "Drunk Man who Looked at the Thistle"
It may wink an eye to the Poetry thread.

Except they are working on "Spring-time" there. Hate to interrupt, it may cause spring to go away.
© Wordsmith.org