Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Sldgman Religion - 01/11/10 12:13 PM
Anu Garg wrote, "The word religion derives from Latin ligare (to tie or to bind, as in 'ligament'), but it best serves as a tool to divide people."

No, it is prejudiced attitudes such as this that tends to divide people.

"Love your neighbor as yourself" - Luke 10: 27
Posted By: Faldage Re: Religion - 01/11/10 12:24 PM
We don't discuss religion on this board.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Religion - 01/11/10 12:27 PM
Now, on the etymology of religion AHD4 tempers its mention of descent from the Latin ligare with the all important qualifier, 'perhaps'.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Religion - 01/11/10 03:46 PM
I can understand Sldgman's comment, however, when the
weekly theme is "words related to religion". Yet the "related"
should keep it theologically and denominationally "free".
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Religion - 01/11/10 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Now, on the etymology of religion AHD4 tempers its mention of descent from the Latin ligare with the all important qualifier, 'perhaps'.

the supposed contention here (ex. OED online):
by Cicero connected with relegere to read over again (see RELECTION n.), so that the supposed original sense of ‘religion’ would have been ‘painstaking observance of rites’, but by later authors (especially by early Christian writers) with religare RELIGATE v., ‘religion’ being taken as ‘that which ties believers to God’. Each view finds supporters among modern scholars.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Religion-precatory - 01/12/10 09:50 PM
From Latin precari (to pray). Ultimately from the Indo-European root prek- (to ask) that is also the source of words such as pray, precarious, deprecate, and postulate.

At first I thought precari would also have led to 'preach', but I found 'preach' comes from late O.E. predician.
It's funny that the root prek- is only two letters short for our word for preaching/sermon : n.'preek' or verb. preken.
What I remember from our youth is that preken, the preek was never ask but always tell Donner und Blitze:'thou shalt or shalt not'.

precatory and predician, almost alike visually, have then opposites meanings?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Religion-precatory - 01/13/10 01:46 AM
Well--a couple of hundred years ago, the invaders here would say, "I pray thee", meaning, "I ask of thee". And somewhere along the way (earlier, I think, p'raps in England) "pray thee" became "prithee".
Posted By: JRS Re: Religion - 01/13/10 06:30 PM
Anu Garg wrote, "The word religion derives from Latin ligare (to tie or to bind, as in 'ligament'), but it best serves as a tool to divide people."

I found your quote to be highly inappropriate and a blatant misuse of the Wordsmith venue now used to communicate your brazenly obvious position on religion. I am not a religious person, I have found relationship with Jesus and Christian-centered spirituality. However, your lack of respect is offensive to countless thousands who can now choose to pray for you.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Religion-precatory - 01/13/10 06:59 PM
Yep, I think this seemingly contradiction only exists in Dutch as it seems to go back directly to the root word 'prek-'.
Bizarre word.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Religion-precatory - 01/13/10 07:07 PM
predician

Old English predician is a loan from Latin predico 'to foretell'.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Religion - 01/14/10 03:36 AM
JRS, I admit to being a bit surprised myself at that: Anu is not known here for making provocative statements. But I figure since it's his web site he's allowed to say what he wants to.

Edit: I should add that it is not up to us to discuss here what he should/should not have in his Words A Day; and that if any of us has a complaint we'd probably do better by writing to him directly.
Posted By: 1 = 0 Re: Religion - 01/14/10 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: JRS

I found your quote to be highly inappropriate and a blatant misuse of the Wordsmith venue now used to communicate your brazenly obvious position on religion. I am not a religious person, I have found relationship with Jesus and Christian-centered spirituality. However, your lack of respect is offensive to countless thousands who can now choose to pray for you.

I find your reply and the one opening this thread quite interesting... and also a blatant proof of what Anu wrote (I'm not sure whether those are his words & thoughts or if he just quoted someone).

First, you centralise on your Faith and religion whereas Anu points to the fact that there are (and have been) so many different religions that they did divide mankind.
Second, I believe there is a difference between one's faith, a (any) religion and a (one out of so many) church... and then there are the many sects within religions.

Each, of course, claiming to be Right, to have found the absolute and unique Truth. Each proclaiming that all the others have to abandon their (faith, beliefs ?) and join-in...

And last... Please give the entire quote...

Anu Garg wrote:
Quote:
"The word religion derives from Latin ligare (to tie or to bind, as in 'ligament'), but it best serves as a tool to divide people.
My religion is better than yours. My god true, yours false. What, we have the same religion? No problem, my sect is better than yours.
"

It is (may be) his opinion, and he has every right to hold it.
I happen to share his view, but I don't mind if many don't.

And by the way... more things separate us...
I don't share your faith, I am not a Christian (though I respect their point of view), and I don't feel the need to advocate my faith or force my beliefs upon others.

One thing unites us (in French "relier", has most probably a relation to "religion")... we like words.
And your post also moved me to join on this forum and express my point of view instead of remaining passive.

Have a nice day
Serge

PS: my apologies to all the readers who feel that this subject didn't deserve an answer (they're probably right) and to all those who feel that we shouldn't discuss Religion on this forum (you're most definitely right).
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Religion - 01/14/10 02:16 PM
Kudos to Anu.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Religion - 01/14/10 03:29 PM
I think it is wrong to state that we don't discuss religion on this board, since a quick search of terms related to religion will get many hits. People are free to express their views, and have done so, but may not receive any replies, which is fine. For me, the important thing is that we do not promote any religion at all. Sort of a "separation of word and state" kind of thing.

I do feel that Anu's statement is provocative, and I'm not surprised that many have spoken up about it. I have no problem with them doing so, and don't think anyone else should, either. So far, no one has said anything promoting his/her religion (simply mentioning it doesn't qualify, to me) so I think it's all fine and civil. Pushing anti-religion is equally as wrong as pushing religion, imho. :0)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Religion - 01/14/10 04:51 PM
again, if it's Anu's views that bother you, take it to the man; he doesn't participate in these fora. (there's a feedback link below.)
Posted By: BranShea Re: Religion - 01/14/10 08:43 PM
Welcome 1 = 0. I think no matter what you gave a well nuanced answer.
© Wordsmith.org