Wordsmith.org
Posted By: kah454 sycophant - 12/31/09 04:22 PM
I like this word. It so aptly describes many of the pundits in the media of all persuasions. Since many only complain and offer little constructive criticism, I would add that they are cringing sycophants.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: sycophant - 12/31/09 05:38 PM
minions.. a list:

toady
toadeater
tufthunter (Brit.)
snurge (Brit.)
lickspittle
minion
lackey
limberham (fig.)
backslapper
clawback (obs.)
apple-polisher
yes-man
stooge
myrmidon
follower
pushover
bootlicker
brownnoser
groveler
flatterer
kowtower
fawner
flatterer
flunky
groupie(s)
sycophant
truckler
ass-kisser
arse-licker (Brit.)
suck-up
doormat
doter
henchman
hanger-on
trencherman

(groups)
mob
posse
entourage
retainers
retinue

(adjs)
gnathonic
obsequious (and synonyms)
unctuous
ingratiating

[additions welcome]
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: sycophant - 12/31/09 07:07 PM
a friend used "jobsworth" in this fashion recently. could be a UK or Kiwi usage, coming from him.
Posted By: kah454 Re: sycophant - 12/31/09 08:06 PM
This might be new for an old sychophant

kowtowager
Posted By: tsuwm Re: sycophant - 12/31/09 08:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu
a friend used "jobsworth" in this fashion recently. could be a UK or Kiwi usage, coming from him.

to me, that's a bit of a misuse. (not that there aren't some on my list that could be considered a stretch.)

Brit. informal an official who mindlessly upholds petty rules [COED]

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: sycophant - 01/01/10 01:17 AM
well, it is more likely my misinterpretation of what he meant.
Posted By: BranShea Re: sycophant - 01/01/10 01:38 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
minions.. a list: [additions welcome]
Haja! Seldom seen you embrace a topic with this dedication smile

tagtail
heeler
carpet knight
Greaculus esuriens
spaniel
lapdog
sponger
doughface
Posted By: tsuwm Re: dedication - 01/01/10 01:51 PM
dear wwftd minion,

it's a wwftd theme, isn't it.

-w.m.

p.s. - those are some worthless additions (not)!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/01/10 02:36 PM
Graeculus esuriens

Juvenal's hungry Greekling, or the fasting Monsieur as Johnson puts it. They were ravenous grad students in my day.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/01/10 06:36 PM
My favorite MP skit.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/01/10 09:30 PM
Could not find any ravenous grad students but I always liked this
tantalizing one:

Link

tsuwm, you're welcome to the worthless addition.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/02/10 01:03 AM
Wensleydale! I've been there! Watched the cheese being made, and everything. grin

Um...for anyone: what is walpoling, please?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/02/10 01:51 AM
what is walpoling, please?

See BranShea's link above, watch, and listen carefully.
Quote:
Cleese: Good Morning.
Palin: Good morning, Sir. Welcome to the National Cheese Emporium!
C: Ah.
P: What can I do for you, Sir?
C: Well, I was, uh, sitting in the public library on Thurmon Street just now, skimming through Rogue Herrys by Hugh Walpole, and I suddenly came over all peckish.
P: Peckish, sir?
C: Esuriant.
P: Eh?
C: 'Ee Ah wor 'ungry-like!
P: Ah, hungry!
C: In a nutshell. And I thought to myself, 'a little fermented curd will do the trick', so, I curtailed my Walpoling activities, sallied forth, and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles!
P: Come again?
C: I want to buy some cheese.
P: Oh, I thought you were complaining about the mazouki player!
C: Oh, heaven forbid: I am one who delights in all manifestations of the Terpsichorean muse!
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/02/10 01:58 AM
Quote:
mazouki

err, bazouki?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/02/10 03:44 AM
: Well, I was, uh, sitting in the public library on Thurmon Street just now, skimming through Rogue Herrys by Hugh Walpole, I did catch that, thanks. It just means reading Hugh Walpole, then? I thought perhaps there was some pop-cultural meaning to the term that had gone over my head, as do so many.
Posted By: Zed Re: sycophant - 01/02/10 07:31 AM
Quote:
Since many only complain and offer little constructive criticism, I would add that they are cringing sycophants.

You've confused me, admittedly not a difficult task some days, but isn't one who only complains the opposite of a sycophant who only flatters?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/02/10 09:06 AM
Ha! Here we have esurient again too! Nice to read some clear text . They talk so fast I miss this and that too.
Mazoukie I bet is on purpose.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/02/10 12:49 PM
err, bazouki?

Probably a transcription error. I just googled it and cut and pasted. It occurs to me, that the transcription I found, might be from The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief phonograph record version of the Cheese Shop sketch (link) which is different from the original broadcast version. Neither Cleese nor Palin mention bouzouki music, but dancing (as the signage to the shop (exterior) shows that it is licensed for public dancing. (It may have been some kind of transcriuption error from the Greek. The word in Modern Greek orthography is μπουζούκι (mpouzouki) where μπ (mp represents /b/, because β (b) represents /v/ now-a-days.

[Addendum: Transcription for MT&H record version here where it is transcribed as bazouki. The script was included in a Monty Python book, i.e., The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Volume 2, but it may have been the record version there, too.]
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/02/10 12:50 PM
I thought perhaps there was some pop-cultural meaning to the term that had gone over my head

Nope, as far as I can tell, the Cheese Shop sketch is the pop-cultural reference for the verb walpole.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/02/10 01:17 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
err, bazouki?

Probably a transcription error.

as I surmised. I should have mentioned that and saved you all the trouble!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/03/10 03:17 AM
the Cheese Shop sketch is the pop-cultural reference for the verb walpole. Ok, a nonce verb. Got it.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/06/10 01:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu
well, it is more likely my misinterpretation of what he meant.

this popped up today: jobsworth def

and when I was searching for this thread, a whole bunch of previous threads came up! back to 2002.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/08/10 05:11 PM
Nice reference site: had not seen that one before. Thanks.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Walpoling activities curtailed - 01/09/10 01:37 AM
A minor clerical worker who refuses to be flexible in the application of rules to help a client or customer. There were clerical staff in my office I could have called that had I known to. A standard stance was, "It's not in my job description". Sheesh.
© Wordsmith.org