Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Kelley peremptory - 10/22/09 11:48 PM
I had initially thought that Bush's invasion of Iraq was a preemptive attack, but now learn that it could just as well have been called peremptory.
Posted By: kah454 Re: peremptory - 10/23/09 02:01 PM
We may call it what we will: nevertheless there is a peremptory (imperative) need for people of all faiths to pray and work for peace.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: peremptory - 10/23/09 04:24 PM
And when they all pray to the same god to help them kill their
enemies who are praying to the same god?
Posted By: kah454 Re: peremptory - 10/26/09 01:12 PM
We must pray for wisdom..."For, by ignoring the path of Wisdom, not only did they suffer the loss of not knowing the good, but they left the world a memorial to their folly, so that their offences could not pass unnoticed." Wisdom 10:8
Posted By: BranShea Re: peremptory - 10/26/09 03:48 PM
Who, pray, are they?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: peremptory - 10/26/09 05:01 PM
Is not Wisdom one of the deutero-canonical books?
Posted By: kah454 Re: peremptory - 10/26/09 06:03 PM
Yes it is one of the deutero-canonical books. It is full of good stuff, and while it is not listed in the Hebrew canon, it was known to them and is alluded to in Matthew's Gospel.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: peremptory - 10/26/09 06:21 PM
Who, pray, are they?

From the context (i.e., the preceding verses in the chapter) it appears that they are the unrighteous inhabitants of the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. Chapter 10 is addressed to Wisdom (i.e., Sophia as the book was composed in Greek originally), and gives a short summary of Genesis, alluding to Cain and Abel, then the Deluge, and finally the cities on the smoking plain. Lot's wife as a pillar of salt is mentioned, too (link).
Posted By: BranShea Re: peremptory - 10/26/09 09:18 PM
A very swift and cryptical Genesis, but a beautiful text to read.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: peremptory - 11/05/09 10:29 PM
Found the book and just finished reading it: beautiful.
Thanks for the recommend.
© Wordsmith.org