Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Mit Jekyll and Hyde - 08/05/09 11:56 AM
Can't see any threads on this yet, otherwise I would have posted this in one of them.
Anyway, this reminded me of a line from one of my favourite songs - "First she's Jekyll, and then she's Hyde/At least she makes a lovely pair."
The song is "mood rings" by Relient k. Hilarious song.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/05/09 01:42 PM
mood rings Welcome, (time bombs, aie!). But ... Jekyll and Hyde was/were a man, no? He were a man, was men eh..
Posted By: Faldage Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/05/09 11:46 PM
ekyll and Hyde was/were a man, no? He were a man, was men eh..

Only the literary Jekyll and Hyde. The metaphorical ones can be anybody.
Posted By: Quiet Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/07/09 04:47 PM
Speaking of references to Jekyll and Hyde in song, check out "You Can't Teach a Woman How to Drink" by the Happy Schnapps Combo (written by J.Krueger):

Well I took my gal out to dinner, it was such an enjoyable night
She said I was the best looking guy in the place and I said "Honey, you're right"
Pick up the check, said "What the heck, let's stop for a drink somewhere"
But when it comes to women and liquor, lord let the bar beware

She had a couple drinks, couple drinks and she started to cry
I came in da bar with Dr.Jekyll, now I'm sittin' here with Mrs.Hyde
Oh how can we come so far in this world, how can we come so far in this world
Put a man on the moon, make computers that think
But you can't teach a woman how to drink

... etc
Posted By: BranShea Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/07/09 07:58 PM
The anybodies in these songs are both female. It must be coincidence.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/08/09 02:43 AM
Welcome, Quiet; I adore your name.

let the bar beware Of course, where we are, bar and buyer are homonyms, right?

Welcome aBoard to you too, Mit!
Posted By: Mit Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/08/09 10:27 PM
Why thank you, kind member of the forums. I hope that you found my contribution at least mildly interesting.
Nice pick up on "buyer," and "bar" possibly being homonyms, I didn't notice it. Probably something to do with the fact that they barely even sound remotely similar here.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/09/09 02:17 AM
Mm--and there was the theme to the old Daniel Boone television show: "killed him a bar when he was only three".

I hope that you found my contribution at least mildly interesting. Shore did! wink
Posted By: Faldage Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/09/09 04:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Mm--and there was the theme to the old Daniel Boone television show: "killed him a bar when he was only three".

Starring Fess Parker as Davy Crockett.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/09/09 05:16 PM
And Fess Parker also starred as Dan'l Boone.
(I guess that has already been established, sorry. Was looking
at the link on Youtube, and saw it there).
Posted By: Faldage Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/10/09 01:57 AM
So he did. I only remembered him as Davy. And it was Davy who kilt him a bar when he was only three.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/10/09 01:59 AM
Yeah, I thought about that last night, long after the computer was off; sorry about that! But heck, they both had coonskin caps!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/10/09 02:25 AM
but, "One of the best-known inscriptions was carved into a tree in present Washington County, Tennessee which reads "D. Boon Cilled a. Bar [killed a bear] on [this] tree in the year 1760". -wikipedia
Posted By: Faldage Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/10/09 10:44 AM
Who you gonna believe, a Wikipedia entry or the theme song from a 1950s TV series? Both impeccable sources.
Posted By: Zed Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/10/09 05:07 PM
Go back to the souce. Have you ever known a tree to lie?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/10/09 05:28 PM
I am trying to get the image: Killed a bear on the tree.
Tied it up? Nailed it? It was up in the branches when kilt?
Strange that.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/10/09 05:57 PM
I've known a few deer hunters, and they hunt deer from deer stands up on trees -- maybe he was on a deer bar stand when he kilt his bar.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/11/09 02:41 AM
In the 1770s, before Boone became an international celebrity, someone discovered a message on the bark of a beech tree that stood on the banks of a small tributary of the Watauga River in Tennessee. It read: “D. Boon Cilled a Bar on tree in the Year 1760.”
Over the centuries, many other versions of this carving have appeared on trees in North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Missouri. Hunters did often leave such graffiti. But did Daniel Boone carve these words?
Maybe. But Boone, a fairly literate man, always spelled his name with an e on the end. The mystery remains.

source

If you "tree" an animal you're hunting, that means it has climbed a tree--and the implication is that it cannot escape then. Unless you're a poor shot.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/11/09 11:17 AM
D. Boone was born in 1734 so he couldn't have been the one who "[k]illed him a bar when he was only three" in 1760.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/11/09 02:00 PM
"[k]illed him a bar when he was only three" in 1760.

David Stern Crockett (August 17, 1786 – March 6, 1836)

-joe (at least Boon(e) had been born) friday
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/11/09 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
I've known a few deer hunters, and they hunt deer from deer stands up on trees -- maybe he was on a deer bar stand when he kilt his bar.

I guess I had the bear in the tree, but it could have been
ole Dan'l.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/11/09 11:04 PM
"[k]illed him a bar when he was only three" in 1760.

David Stern Crockett (August 17, 1786 – March 6, 1836)

-joe (at least Boon(e) had been born) friday

I ain't sayin' D. Boon din't cill him no bar in, on, under, or around no tree, I'm jus sayin the line

"killed him a bar when he was only three".

was from the Davy Crockett show not from no Dan'l Boon(e) show.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/12/09 12:10 AM
and I'm just sayin' that the song is just as inaccurate (if not moreso) than all get out - never having claimed anything about the song v. Dan'l.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/12/09 02:07 AM
D. Boone was born in 1734 so he couldn't have been the one who "[k]illed him a bar when he was only three" in 1760. Coulda been he kilt more'n one bar...either him OR Davy Crockett.

Edit: Quiet, this is all your fault!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/12/09 02:43 AM
okay, now I'm going to obviousize this: Davy Crockett absolutely couldn't have killed *anything in 1760! He wasn't even 50 years old when he died at the Alamo in 1836.
-ron o.
Posted By: Zed Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/12/09 05:25 AM
cilt him a bar when he was -26, then went out and got drunk on... (what's that wine on Discworld that you drink before they plant the grapes?)
Posted By: Faldage Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/12/09 11:28 AM
and I'm just sayin' that the song is just as inaccurate (if not moreso) than all get out - never having claimed anything about the song v. Dan'l.

I din't never say nothin bout whether D. K. Crockett cilled him no bar nowheres neither. Alls I was doin was say that Ma got the song about somebody 'killed[sic] him a bar when he was only three' ascribed to the wrong Fess Parker.
Posted By: Quiet Re: Jekyll and Hyde - 08/12/09 04:41 PM
Quiet, this is all your fault!
smile I wish I could say I've actually heard the song with that "let the bar beware" line ("You Can't Teach a Woman How To Drink" - from the Happy Schnapps Combo "Behind Bars" CD). But I can at least offer the complete lyrics: http://my.execpc.com/~sjkrautk/album3lyrics.html

If you've ever heard the Dr. Demento show, you may remember the Schnapps for their song "No,I Don't Wanna Do Dat" - http://my.execpc.com/~sjkrautk/nowanna.wav - I must confess it's the only one of theirs I've ever heard, but it left me with the deep impression of genius under all the slosh.

http://my.execpc.com/~sjkrautk/sounds.html - Other Schnapps song samples.
© Wordsmith.org