Wordsmith.org
Posted By: murraystone eleemosynary - 06/22/09 02:45 PM
"Eleemosynary" sprang back into popularity when Senator Sam Ervin posed this sarcastic question to John Ehrlichman, a White House flunkie who claimed large amounts of cash were funneled to the Watergate burglars out of compassion:

"Well, I have always thought that if a political institution or committee enacted the role of an eleemosynary institution, it would, like the Pharisee, brag about it on all opportunities, and so you agreed with me that a Doubting Thomas might think that this money was routed in this clandestine way. not only to keep it secret but also to keep these people that were receiving the monev secret?"
Posted By: Jackie Re: eleemosynary - 06/23/09 02:50 AM
Well, welcome back, Barrister Stone! Long time no hear from! Hope you've been doing okay all this while.
Posted By: BranShea Re: eleemosynary - 06/23/09 06:50 AM
eleemosynary .
To me it seems like a long word for alms. Any connection, great experts of this board? "Alms for the poor"?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: eleemosynary - 06/23/09 07:14 AM
as Anu mentions, eleemosyna is Latin for alms.
link
Posted By: BranShea Re: eleemosynary - 06/23/09 08:56 AM
Gee, as I specilally went to the site map for this post to see if Anu mentioned it and still overlooked it, I can only conclude the scrabble game càn be dangerous. (not to think of other dreadful possibilities)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: eleemosynary - 06/23/09 12:18 PM
Any connection [with the Latin word alms]?

Yes, the English word is a borrowing from the Latin which in turn was borrowed from the Greek: Old English ĉlmesse < Late Latin eleēmosyna < Greek ελεημοσυνη (eleēmosunē) 'pity, charity' < ελεημων (eleēmōn) 'pitiful' < ελεος (eleos) 'pity'. The etymology of the Greek word is uncertain, but it may be related to Old Icelandic jálmr 'noise'.

Posted By: BranShea Re: eleemosynary - 06/23/09 12:32 PM
We had an aquaintance called Jalmar; he was noisy.
Did you one sec. ago change the text through using HTML + UBBC code? that was weird to see happen.
' jálmr '? That would be the noise of the coin in the old whatever metal cup? Oh no. There would be lamenting to draw attention.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: eleemosynary - 06/23/09 01:00 PM
Did you one sec. ago change the text through using HTML + UBBC code?

Well, it's more than a second ago now, but yes, I constantly and consistently forget to change the editing mode. I don't have time right now, but I wondered if German jammern 'to wail; lament' is related.
Posted By: BranShea Re: eleemosynary - 06/23/09 06:21 PM
Yes it is. Jammeren (Du) and jammern (Ger) is to wail, to lament.
Oh you mean to ' jálmr '.. pff.. when does vacation start?

Anyway , concerning alms this is interesting to me as the word aalmoezenier must descend from it:

almoner
"official distributor of alms on behalf of another," c.1300, from O.Fr. almosnier (12c.), from V.L. *almosinarius, from L.L. elemosinarius (adj.) "connected with alms," from eleemosyna "alms" (see alms).
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: eleemosynary - 06/28/09 02:45 AM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Yes it is. Jammeren (Du) and jammern (Ger) is to wail, to lament.
Oh you mean to ' jálmr '.. pff.. when does vacation start?

Anyway , concerning alms this is interesting to me as the word aalmoezenier must descend from it:

almoner
"official distributor of alms on behalf of another," c.1300, from O.Fr. almosnier (12c.), from V.L. *almosinarius, from L.L. elemosinarius (adj.) "connected with alms," from eleemosyna "alms" (see alms).

Words like jammeren and jammern, etc. always remind me of the jaberwocky (Carroll). Frippen on the
jim jam and all that": I believe is the incantation of the wizard in Wizard of Id. Love the nonesense
words.
Posted By: BranShea Re: eleemosynary - 06/28/09 08:45 AM
There's the nautical word "windjammer", as a sea term an international word.
Here you see the yearly event in Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein Germany.

windjammer
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: eleemosynary - 06/28/09 12:53 PM
And let us not forget the Katzenjammer Kids comic strip. In German, Katzenjammer 'hangover', literally 'caterwauling'.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: eleemosynary - 07/01/09 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
And let us not forget the Katzenjammer Kids comic strip. In German, Katzenjammer 'hangover', literally 'caterwauling'.

Always enjoyed that comic strip, thanks for the memory.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: eleemosynary - 07/01/09 09:56 PM
the Katzenjammer Kids strip is still in syndication today, the oldest such.
Posted By: BranShea Re: eleemosynary - 07/02/09 07:10 AM
Very funny. And still running? That's strong!

"Rudolph Dirks created The Katzenjammer Kids in 1897 for the American Humorist, the famed Sunday supplement of the New York Journal. Inspired in part by Max Und Moritz" ( I have that huge complete Wilhelm Busch ). Gruesome. Grausam.

Dirks
Wonderful, that old printed page.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: eleemosynary - 07/02/09 01:36 PM
Inspired in part by Max Und Moritz" ( I have that huge complete Wilhelm Busch ). Gruesome. Grausam.

I do love Busch and those two little rapscallions of his pen. Another great and scary book is Hoffmann's Struwwelpeter (link).
Posted By: BranShea Re: eleemosynary - 07/02/09 02:30 PM
Yes, those little stories created for the edification and improvement of children's manners and behavior, while just as well they prepared you for getting hardened and maybe a developped taste for horror stories. Those German "cartoons" are very moralizing. (we were quite fond of them)
Hans Huckebein , der Unglücksrabe
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: eleemosynary - 07/04/09 11:11 PM
Not in syndication in our part of the world. At least I am not
aware of it anywhere. Perhaps on line.
© Wordsmith.org