Wordsmith.org
Posted By: brainstorm Atone - 05/27/09 05:40 AM
Hi, guys. I am too new to this. There is one little problem, i am not a native speaker of English, so at times it is quite hard for me to understand the word and get the feeling of using it right.
Can you show me examples of how I could possibly use "atone"?
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Atone - 05/27/09 01:08 PM
Hi, welcome. Please scroll down to: usage examples.

link: > usage examples

It's a rather old solemn word.
Posted By: Zed Re: Atone - 05/27/09 08:26 PM
Are other languages the same as English in that many words have synonyms that each create a different emotional shading to the sentance?

Hi and welcome Brainstorm.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Atone - 05/27/09 09:18 PM
Come to think of it yes, if only already for the age and sound of them, they do create those different emotional shadings as you indicate.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Atone - 05/28/09 01:16 PM
Are other languages the same as English in that many words have synonyms that each create a different emotional shading to the sentance?

Yes. Maybe Bran can give us some examples in Dutch.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Atone - 05/28/09 08:29 PM
An example: helemaal ( completely) en totaal ( totally) are synonyms. But 'helemaal' is not completely equal to 'totaal'.
There is a slight difference in weight.

They both mean "the whole thing", and helemaal is not less complete than totaal, but somehow it is weaker.
Posted By: brainstorm Re: Atone - 05/29/09 04:55 AM
Bran, thank you so much.
I have been receiving the AWAD emails for quite a while now, but some of the words really do seem very tricky. I don't always understand tham, let alone know how to use them. So, it is a good thing I came across this forum smile
Hi, and thanks to everybody!
Posted By: brainstorm Re: Atone - 05/29/09 04:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Zed

Hi and welcome Brainstorm.

Hi smile Thanks.
By the way, it is much worse in Russian. One word can have several synonyms, but they will all have slight differences. And there is nothing much to do about it, but remember. It is quite easy for me to remember them in Russian, but English... I find that annoying at times )
Posted By: BranShea Re: Atone - 05/29/09 09:52 AM
That counts for other languages as well. I used two words that really mean the same thing, but have a slightly different load. Also, the way in which a word has been used in historical context adds to te 'shade' of a word or the synonym.
After someone some decades ago used the words: "Totalen Krieg", totaal will be a reminder for a long time, though it's used casually.

Zwoegen, meaning : labouring heavily, has the following synonyms:
ploeteren, baggeren, hengsten, labueren, pezen, sappelen, sloven, slaven and more.They all have a slight different meaning yet they can be used crossways.

Zed made clear to begin with that English has this too.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Atone - 05/29/09 12:05 PM
like totally, dood.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Atone - 05/29/09 04:57 PM
Originally Posted By: etaoin
like totally, dood.

Dood, you feel me.
© Wordsmith.org