Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BranShea lucubrate - 03/31/09 07:48 AM
First time in almost three years that I see a root word that is still very much alive in today's language.
(yes, I read the e-mails, both form Wordsmith and from WWftD)

"Leuk" . A word constantly used as adverb, adjectiv and exclamation. Meaning nice, pleasant , pretty and amusing.
Someone inviting us to a party or a walk we say : OK."Leuk!"
As an adjective it mostly takes the meaning of pleasant, nice.
A leuk story, a leuk event etc.

Does someone know if there is a site that shows on an all languages scale other still active root words?

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: lucubrate - 03/31/09 12:58 PM
Does someone know if there is a site that shows on an all languages scale other still active root words?

Not for all languages, but for the major Indo-European ones there's always the online version of Pokorny's Indogermansiches Etymologisches Wörterbuch (link), but the interface is kind of sucky and I tend to use my offline version. Slowly, I have been collecting links to the major European online (monolingual) dictionaries and most of these contain etymological data. For Dutch, there is Etymologisch Woordenboek van het Nederlands (link), but you have to register. I also own Etymologisch Woordenboek der Nederlandssche Tal. I've had less luck with the various versions of Wiktionary, e.g., Dutch).

Dutch leuk is cognate with English luke as in lukewarm (see root *kelə- 'warm' in A-H link). (Interesting that tautology.)
Posted By: BranShea Re: lucubrate - 03/31/09 07:24 PM
Thanks. I've done some more looking around and I got the message that my above mentioned word is just by accident equal to the root word 'leuk ' and has an alltogether different root for itself. I'll keep the links as a reminder.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: lucubrate - 04/03/09 06:18 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
First time in almost three years that I see a root word that is still very much alive in today's language.
(yes, I read the e-mails, both form Wordsmith and from WWftD)

"Leuk" . A word constantly used as adverb, adjectiv and exclamation. Meaning nice, pleasant , pretty and amusing.
Someone inviting us to a party or a walk we say : OK."Leuk!"
As an adjective it mostly takes the meaning of pleasant, nice.
A leuk story, a leuk event etc.

When my mother screamed "LEUK" I knew I was in trouble, no matter how it was spelled.
Posted By: BranShea Re: lucubrate - 04/04/09 03:44 PM
That's funny. When my mother screamed "LEUK" I had done something
praiseworthy.
Posted By: Jackie Re: lucubrate - 04/06/09 01:34 AM
When my mother screamed "LEUK" I knew I was in trouble, no matter how it was spelled. Ha! laugh
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: lucubrate - 04/06/09 09:12 PM
And I can still hear her from the way beyond !
Posted By: PastorVon Re: lucubrate - 04/07/09 01:22 AM
And was that on Tatooine?
© Wordsmith.org