Wordsmith.org
Posted By: twosleepy Rollick is a verb? - 11/14/08 03:11 PM
I have never heard this word used as a verb, only in its adjectival form, rollicking. I'd like to know where it might be in use in its verb form. Thanks! :0)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Rollick is a verb? - 11/14/08 03:20 PM
1 : to move or behave in a carefree joyous manner : FROLIC, ROMP <she loved to rollick; persiflage was her natural expression -- W.A.White> <the puppies rollick about -- Emily Hahn> <begins like an 18th century minuet and rollicks suddenly into a jig -- Waldo Frank>
2 : to revel in something <would certainly roll and rollick in women unless there was work for him to do -- H.G.Wells>
synonym see PLAY
[W3]

inflected forms : rollicked, rollicking
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Rollick is a verb? - 11/14/08 04:24 PM
Thanks for all that, but I didn't need it! I realize it IS a verb, I've just never heard it used that way, and want to know who does use it, or hears it used, as a verb. Do you? :0)
Posted By: Myridon Re: Rollick is a verb? - 11/14/08 05:06 PM
On another front...
Is there evidence for "a blend of romp and frolic"? Take frolic, drop the f, "regularize" the spelling, voila! Or if you have to make luggage (too lazy to spell that other word) out of it , why not roll and frolic?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Rollick is a verb? - 11/14/08 05:18 PM
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Thanks for all that, but I didn't need it! I realize it IS a verb, I've just never heard it used that way, and want to know who does use it, or hears it used, as a verb. Do you? :0)

well, White, Frank, Hahn and H. G. Wells used it (for four). smirk

here's something a little more topical: link
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Rollick is a verb? - 11/14/08 05:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Myridon
On another front...
Is there evidence for "a blend of romp and frolic"? Take frolic, drop the f, "regularize" the spelling, voila! Or if you have to make luggage (too lazy to spell that other word) out of it , why not roll and frolic?

origin unknown, so rollick on.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Rollick is a verb? - 11/14/08 06:48 PM
I guess I'm just being obtuse today. Sorry! What I'd like to know is what parts of the US and the world currently use this as a verb, because I don't hear it around me (western NY), or even nationally (tv, radio, internet etc.). Thanks! :0)
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Rollick is a verb? - 11/14/08 07:21 PM
I've never heard rollick. rollicking, yes.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Rollick is a verb? - 11/15/08 02:46 AM
Ditto.

© Wordsmith.org