Wordsmith.org
Posted By: ParkinT Continuance - 10/28/08 12:14 PM
I like this week's theme: word possessing (seemingly) opposite meanings.
I have a dispute with today's choice, continuance.

The second definition (An adjournment of a court proceeding to a future day), although on the surface appears to be a contradiction, actually means "an agreement by all to continue on another day". So it is not really in opposition.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Continuance - 10/28/08 02:52 PM
I agree 100%! You beat me to it!
Posted By: Aleta Re: Continuance - 10/28/08 05:40 PM
Brings to mind buckle which means both to fall apart and come together.
Posted By: Andrew Robinson Re: Continuance - 10/28/08 06:23 PM
Yes, that's a nice one. I agree with Anu over 'continuance' though . . . this usage means discontinuing before continuing. Similarly, I have to think twice about dates being 'brought forward' -- time progresses onward but meetings are brought (back, as I see it) in order to happen earlier.

I once started a list of phrases that mean the opposite of their literal sense. Things like "I don't want to interrupt/contradict/disappoint you" and "What you mean to say is . . . " and "This won't take a minute".

Any more?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Continuance - 10/28/08 08:35 PM
Side with ParkinT and 2sleepy.
I though this morning that this word wasn't altogether . . tja. I was thinking it could mean a sort of a status quo of whatever is going on, be it active or passive. So, this word seemed to me to have only one and the same meaning.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Continuance - 10/29/08 03:33 PM
Ooh, ooh--I just got around to reading yesterday's Word: the author quoted is a Kentuckian, quite famous around these parts.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Continuance - 10/29/08 06:54 PM
Wendell Berry read it, interesting.

[What I stand for is what I stand on.]
To be able to stand for what you stand on depends on what you stand on. (It sounds like a privilege to be able to say that, I mean)
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Continuance - 10/29/08 06:55 PM
Wendell Berry is a gift.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Continuance - 10/29/08 10:43 PM
Definitely sounds all good, but when will I have time to read all the books I still want to read? And listen to music, which I can't do both at the same time.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Continuance - 10/30/08 02:25 AM
Yeah, you can have music on while you read (I have Sicut Servus on YouTube right now), but you can't listen to it.
Posted By: The Pook Re: Continuance - 10/30/08 11:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Ooh, ooh--I just got around to reading yesterday's Word: the author quoted is a Kentuckian, quite famous around these parts.

Hmm, that got me thinking... who are the most famous Kentuckians of all time? (Are there any?)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Continuance - 10/30/08 12:22 PM
let's see what Jackie makes of *this Wikipedia entry: List_of_Louisvillians
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Continuance - 10/30/08 01:18 PM
I know how to say "Louisville", slugger.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Continuance - 10/30/08 02:29 PM
... who are the most famous Kentuckians of all time?

Abroad, I'm sad to say it, only the chickens made the grade.

(so far)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Continuance - 10/30/08 03:01 PM
>the chickens

I say, so ya think Foghorn Leghorn hails from Louisville?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Continuance - 10/30/08 03:21 PM
only the chickens made the grade. Ohh, ha ha HA! laugh

I wouldn't say all the people on that Wikipedia tired list are Louisvillians; for ex., John James Audubon Ornithologist, naturalist and painter. Lived in Louisville for about two years. (e.a.)

I would say Daniel Boone, Abraham Lincoln, Muhammad Ali (now, he is a native Louisvillian), Tom Cruise (I'm not sure he was born here, but he went to high school and still has family here, the Mapothers), Rosemary Clooney and her nephew George, and no doubt the most famous face of all, Col. Harland Sanders. There are lots of lesser-known but still widely recognized names on that list. And here's one that includes the whole state--MANY well-known names:
Kentuckians
Posted By: olly Re: Continuance - 10/30/08 10:17 PM
I noted that 'the Colonel' is listed under Military and Social figures. Was he a real Colonel? He is certainly a favourite social figure down here.
Posted By: The Pook Re: Continuance - 10/31/08 12:13 AM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
>the chickens

I allus assoomed tha' he were frum Rhode Island... smile
Posted By: Jackie Re: Continuance - 10/31/08 02:18 AM
Whoa--tsuwm, I only just now saw your post, and that was because Pookie quoted it. You must have snuck it in while I was composing. My husband says his least-respectable uncle was exactly like Foghorn Leghorn, so no, I don't think I'll claim him--boy.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Continuance - 10/31/08 09:09 AM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
>the chickens

I'm sure this post wasn't there yesterday. How did you fit that one in? Foggy business....
Ah, and they don't come in that pretty, they come in little cardboard boxes.

Jackie:
In my next life I'm going to build a raft and and float down the Mississippi River form Lake Itasca to Lake Pontchartrain and down to the Antilles. When I'll pass the little stretch of the Kentucky banks I'll pay my repect to you and Audubon. Maybe a sidestep to Alabama to see what moon Brecht-Weil were thinking of. Oh, and Oklahoma for sure.

Posted By: The Pook Re: Continuance - 10/31/08 11:12 AM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Oh, and Oklahoma for sure.

...where the wind blows...
Posted By: BranShea Re: Continuance - 10/31/08 06:42 PM
Exactly what I've always liked about Oklahoma. (Not to mention that bright golden haze on the meadow.)
Posted By: Zed Re: Continuance - 11/02/08 06:05 AM
and the herds of elephants that hang around corn fields.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Continuance - 11/02/08 04:15 PM
Eye-catching answer laugh !
© Wordsmith.org