Wordsmith.org
Posted By: UrthSoul Chimera - 04/28/08 01:42 PM
This word, still in routine use in the disciplines dealing with human genetics and birth defects, was recently a featured word and concept in a RadioLab program whose title includes the word 'Life.' RadioLab is a weekly science radio program from WNYC (public radio in New York City). It is available as a free podcast from the NPR podcast menu: http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_directory.php. If you don't own an ipod, (I don't!) there are several very good FREE podcast-receiving softwares available online, which allows you to automatically receive new editions of recurring podcasts as they become available. I use one called 'Juice.'
Posted By: Faldage Re: Chimera - 04/28/08 07:47 PM
And a lovely program it is, RadioLab.
Posted By: Owlbow Re: Chimera - 04/29/08 01:22 PM
As is Fresh Air.
Thanks for the link and welcome.
Posted By: Ronald Newburgh Re: Chimera - 05/02/08 01:00 PM
One should point out that, like so many mythical beings,the chimera has a solid historical root. In the hills above Olympos (modern Cirali) on the southwestern Turkish coast there are fissures from which natural gas (methane, I believe) issues continuously. The gas ignites spontaneously, so that the barren rock fields show flickering flames at all times. Olympus is about 90 km southwest of Antalya and well worth a visit.
© Wordsmith.org