Wordsmith.org
Posted By: twosleepy pusillanimous - thanking the Wizard... - 04/09/08 05:34 PM
Reading today's word made me smile! The first time I, and maybe many of you, heard it was in the movie "The Wizard of Oz". We watched that movie every year when it was broadcast in the spring. I remember being very young and running to hide behind a chair when the Wicked Witch of the West showed up. I still feel that horrified chill when the crystal ball image of Auntie Em morphs into the witch... I always loved the "big words" (to me, at the time) used by Professor Marvel/the Wizard, about which I am sure my father answered many questions: vernacular, mediocre, pusillanimous, "good deed doers" (philanthropists) to name a few. The Cowardly Lion had the best poetry with his "Courage" monologue/song (the "misty mist" and the "dusky dusk")... :0)
Posted By: BranShea Re: pusillanimous - thanking the Wizard... - 04/10/08 08:28 AM
In spite of my admiration for Judy Garland I have never been able
to sit that movie through till the end. Too much wizardry I suppose. Anu's making this week (off topic but in weekly) a week of timidity.Three in a row.
The road to a total shut up is paved with timidity. (-_-)
it ain't the heat, it's the timidity.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: pusillanimous - thanking the Wizard... - 04/10/08 06:20 PM
I see you have a pavid interest in puns...
heh.

Cross-threading.

I get it.
Posted By: BranShea Re: pusillanimous - thanking the Wizard... - 04/10/08 07:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: twosleepy
I see you have a pavid interest in puns...

While he dances a pavid pavane...
Posted By: twosleepy Re: pusillanimous - thanking the Wizard... - 04/10/08 09:36 PM
Oh, Anna has an interest in needle arts? :0)
Posted By: twosleepy Re: pusillanimous - thanking the Wizard... - 04/10/08 09:41 PM
Prettily put; pure poetic perspicacity, proffering promising palaver...
Posted By: altair38 Re: pusillanimous - thanking the Wizard... - 04/11/08 01:42 AM
"Why, anybody can have a brain. That's a very mediocre commodity. Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the earth, or slinks through slimy seas has a brain!"

I use the Wizard's line whenever one of my junior high students complains of not being smart.
Posted By: Jackie Re: pusillanimous - thanking the Wizard... - 04/11/08 05:17 PM
Hey, welcome, Brian! Are you a musician, too, if you don't mind saying? Looks like you and etaoin have some things in common.

Branshea, now why do I see a birthday cake icon next to your name, hmm?
Posted By: BranShea Re: pusillanimous - thanking the Wizard... - 04/11/08 08:25 PM
Ha! I've baked a cake with 65 candles on it. It looks very muchy like a pin cushion. \:D and it makes me feel like I turned 6 and a half today.
Posted By: Jackie Re: pusillanimous - thanking the Wizard... - 04/11/08 08:34 PM
65--wooh, that's really old; hope you didn't set the house on fire! \:D

Edit: actually, congratulations!

Edit #2: yes, I know that several of my fellow post-ers are about that age. I too will be getting there not too long from now.
Posted By: BranShea Re: pusillanimous - thanking the Wizard... - 04/13/08 03:00 PM
Definitely Jackie. Old as the hills but lean enough to climb them.
Sixty five or six point five. That amount of candles was great!
Cake flambée and melting cream. Wisdom lies in the world beyond and the house stands.
Posted By: BranShea Re: pusillanimous - thanking the Wizard... - 04/14/08 09:51 AM
No piece of cake but this:

springtime

From a different earlier spring when you all were still very young.
Posted By: Jackie Re: pusillanimous - thanking the Wizard... - 04/15/08 02:41 AM
Aww, thank you, Branny! [memory lane e]
© Wordsmith.org