Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Zed megillah - 03/26/08 03:25 AM
megillah (meh-GIL-uh) noun

A long, tedious account.

[From Yiddish megile (scroll), from Hebrew megillah, from galal (to
roll).
The term alludes to the length of the text in the Book of Esther which
is read in its entirety, twice, during Purim, a Jewish festival.]
Rally? Esther!?!?!? Now there is a book that reads like a novel. Unlike the who begat whom sections which are better than counting sheep.
Posted By: BranShea Re: megillah - 03/26/08 07:49 AM
Admiration Zed! You must be one of those legendary persons who read the whole Bible and then said: " Mom, I'm finished, can I have another book?"
Posted By: Zed Re: megillah - 03/26/08 07:56 AM
I've read lot of it but certainly not in order or at one time. It has taken me rmphmumble years to do so. And I skipped the begats chapters because begosh and begorrah but there's a lot of begats.
Posted By: BranShea Re: megillah - 03/26/08 08:04 AM
roffel! \:D
Posted By: Zed Re: megillah - 03/26/08 08:46 AM
Past my bedtime, g'night Brannie.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: megillah - 03/26/08 12:22 PM
Megillah = Big tedious primate... ;0)
Posted By: Faldage Re: megillah - 03/26/08 10:51 PM
That'd be Megillah Guerilla?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: megillah - 03/26/08 11:00 PM
or Magilla Gorilla, one.
Posted By: The Pook Re: megillah - 03/26/08 11:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
That'd be Megillah Guerilla?

No I think he's a Taliban insurgent.

As opposed to one who wishes to subvert Internet Explorer - that would be mozilla.guerilla.
Posted By: of troy Re: megillah - 03/27/08 12:50 AM
Not only are you supposed to read the Book of Ester, but you are supposed to celebrate to excess.. (drinking is in order)
(and hammantash cakes.. mmmm)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: megillah - 03/27/08 01:58 AM
supposed to read the Book of Ester

... and don't forget the plays (purimshpil): the origin of Yiddish theater and film ...
Posted By: latishya Re: megillah - 03/27/08 02:28 AM
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
(purimshpil)

Looking at that word, you could surely never guess which two languages came together in Yiddish. \:\)
Posted By: BranShea Re: megillah - 03/27/08 09:43 AM
Maybe best to keep the Yiddish words together in one thread.
Today's word 'meshuga or meshugga '. It survives in Dutch as 'mesjokke '. (no, not my socks) I can still here my mother say it on occasions when she was really shocked about unheard of things.
(the world only changing for the worse, she feared)
Posted By: Faldage Re: megillah - 03/27/08 10:16 AM
 Originally Posted By: latishya
(purimshpil)

Looking at that word, you could surely never guess which two languages came together in Yiddish. \:\)

Two?! Only two?! I'll leave it to the professionals to tell us how Russian and Polish rank with Hebrew as relative contributors to Yiddish.
Posted By: latishya Re: megillah - 03/27/08 10:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
 Originally Posted By: latishya
(purimshpil)

Two?! Only two?! I'll leave it to the professionals to tell us how Russian and Polish rank with Hebrew as relative contributors to Yiddish.

OK, so I'm getting more good at writing phrases badly. I know a bit of german, and know that yiddish is closely connected with hebrew/jewish culture, so said two. I didnt know to say out loud that i did not mean they were the only two. Ive never heard of a living language that has only two sources, but from the little bit Ive learned, it seemed like german and hebrew were the two biggest bits of yiddish. I guess that makes me oh for three.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: megillah - 03/27/08 11:46 AM
 Originally Posted By: tsuwm
or Magilla Gorilla, one.

You forgot to sign that ron obvious.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: megillah - 03/27/08 01:56 PM
Yiddish is mainly a Germanic language with a large vocabulary from Aramaic-Hebrew (loshn koydesh 'holy language'. There is also a sizeable input from various Slavic languages depending on dialect area (e.g., Poland, Galicia, or the Baltic states). There are also traces of Romance. In the Soviet Union, before they banned Yiddish outright, there was an official language policy of purging Yiddish of its Semitic, mainly religious, vocabulary. The original Yiddish speakers seem to have come from the Rhineland area of Germany, before moving on to the Pale in the East. The two major divisions of Yiddish, West (Benelux, France, Germany, mostly extinct by the late 19th century, modern Yiddish speakers in these countries are Eastern European speakers who migrated west after WW2) and East (Poland, Lithuanian, Latvia, Belarus, Ukraine). The main bodies of speakers are divided between Israel and the USA/Canada. Argentina had a sizable Yiddish-speaking community, but that community has been dwindling.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: megillah - 03/27/08 02:43 PM
That's interesting, Nuncle. I would have thought Galician Jews were Sephardic and spoke Ladino. Now there's a dying language...
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: megillah - 03/27/08 02:51 PM
I would have thought Galician Jews were Sephardic and spoke Ladino

There are at least two Galicias in Europe: (1) the Gallego-speaking area in NW Iberian peninsula; and (2) the old Austro-Hungarian administrative region in the Poland, Czech and Slovak area (aka Galicia-Volhynia), roughly between Lublin in the north, Krakow in the west, and Lwow in the east; and a possible connection with (3) the area in Anatolia, Galatia, that was possibly Celtic-speaking mentioned in a letter of Paul in the New Testament. There have been theories the the root gal- may be the same Celtic one in all three (plus let's thrown in Wallachia in Transylvania) and Gallia, etc.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: megillah - 03/27/08 02:58 PM
Wow! Nuncle, is there anything you don't know? Any unknown unknowns? Fascinating stuff about the possible gal-/Celt link. Thanks. And yeah, I was thinking of the Spanish region.

(edited to add an un)
Posted By: BranShea Re: megillah - 03/27/08 03:18 PM
 Quote:
(aka Galicia-Volhynia),

That Galicia where the East Goths came over the Alps and marched on Ravenna in the beginning of the 5th century? I've read a book about that period, but some of the exacts have already faded.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: megillah - 03/28/08 01:48 AM

I don't think so BranShea. I meant this place (link). I think the Ostrogoths came into Italy from Pannonia which kind of corresponds with Austria. Vindobona (Wien) was in the north of this province. But since some place the origin of the Goths in Sweden, perhaps they passed through Galicia at some point.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: megillah - 03/28/08 01:51 AM
is there anything you don't know

Plenty, niece, I just try to steer conversations away from those holes in the façade.
Posted By: Jackie Re: megillah - 03/28/08 02:18 AM
Vindobona Isn't he the one that does America's Funniest Home Videos?
© Wordsmith.org