Wordsmith.org
Posted By: JanX Schnorrer - 03/24/08 04:49 PM
This Yiddishism made an appearance in the Marx Brothers movie, Animal Crackers. When the crowd sings, "Hooray for Captain Spalding! The African Explorer!", Groucho replies, "Did someone call me schnorrer?"
A great word.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Schnorrer - 03/24/08 09:28 PM
And a great movie! I never was quite certain what he was saying; now I know and I know what it means now, too. Thanks and welcome, JanX.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Schnorrer - 03/28/08 02:54 PM
Jan, as I felt you were being ignored and although you've probably already been there, I submit the following for what it's worth

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=schnorrer&r=66
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Schnorrer - 03/28/08 03:07 PM
I live with a schnorrer.... it's very annoying when I'm trying to sleep, and I have to keep nudging him to roll over so I can have some peace and quiet..... ;0)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Schnorrer - 03/28/08 03:44 PM
nudging

Another great Yiddishism is nudge (also, noodge, nudzh, link): a person who pester, bores, or annoys. It's an example of a nouned verb: from Yiddish נודיען (nudien) 'to bore, pester', cf. נודניק (nudnik 'one who noodges'.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Schnorrer - 03/28/08 03:56 PM
the schnorring is noodgish.....
Posted By: BranShea Re: Schnorrer - 03/28/08 04:11 PM
nudge (v.)
"to push slightly with the elbow," 1675, perhaps from Scand. (cf. Norw. nugge, nyggje "to jostle, rub;" Icelandic nugga "to rub, massage"). The noun is attested from 1836.

Sounds more attractive on the whole.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Schnorrer - 03/28/08 04:40 PM
Sounds more attractive on the whole.

We're talking about two different words: nudge with a schwa (link) and nudge with an oo (link). I just brought it up because twosleepy said she nudged her snoring husband; not noodge, not shnorer. The Yiddish verb was nouned in English. It is common to hear: "He's such a noodge." Yiddish would use nudnik as the nomen agentis of nudien.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Schnorrer - 03/28/08 07:49 PM
Aïe, I see. How very confusing. Ça suffit.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Schnorrer - 03/29/08 03:40 AM
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
We're talking about two different words: nudge with a schwa (link) and nudge with an oo (link).

Nah, I'm making one word: nudge with a schwoo (link)....
Posted By: Zed Re: Schnorrer - 03/29/08 05:10 AM
Careful, the purists will schwoop down and get you.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Schnorrer - 03/29/08 12:17 PM
Nice link, twosleepy. Had me fooled.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: the nudnik behind the arras - 03/29/08 03:45 PM
the purists

A haptic event, I do confess’t.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Schnorrer - 03/29/08 03:58 PM
he he he.... I'm such a troublemaker kidder!
© Wordsmith.org