Wordsmith.org
Posted By: olly Episode One - 03/07/08 08:52 AM
prequel (PREE-kwuhl) noun

A more common word in this day of sequels, I'd of thought?
Posted By: latishya Re: Episode One - 03/07/08 09:17 AM
Maybe Anu picked it in honor of its 50th anniversary. From The OED:

:1958 ‘A. BOUCHER’ in Mag. Fantasy & Sci. Fiction Apr. 94/2 Year 2018!..is the meaningless American retitling of James Blish's They Shall Have Stars..a ‘prequel’ to Earthman Come Home. "
Posted By: BranShea Re: Episode One - 03/07/08 11:00 AM
Quote:
prequel (PREE-kwuhl) noun
There are other variants: midquel, sidequel, threequel, ad nauseum.

Nauseating words indeed. Bad enough to give you a pre-side-threefold midquel crisis.

"To hurry pain is to leave a classroom still in session. To prolong pain is..."

I know what to prolong pain means but could anyone explain to me what to "hurry pain" means; is it simply the opposite of prolong?
The same as to "shorten" pain?
Posted By: Maven Re: Episode One - 03/07/08 03:43 PM
I suspect that's correct, that it means to avoid fully dealing with a painful situation, such as refusing to mourn a lost friend because it hurts too much. It's not a phrase I've heard before, so I'm just guessing.

Or, Yahia does like the analgesics industry.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: le Fantôme de la liberté - 03/07/08 03:59 PM
Prequel is a funny word, because whoever coined it misanalysed sequel (< Latin sequēla), the root of the verb sequor 'to follow', yielding our non sequitur 'it does not follow' and being from PIE *sekʷ- 'follow' (link and link).
Posted By: Faldage Re: le Fantôme de la liberté - 03/08/08 12:35 AM
Then there was the rather humorous sketch in which the British commentator argued that Watergate was a scandal about water; if it had been a scandal about Watergate, it would have been called Watergategate. It's probably on YouTube somewhere if anyone cares to look for it.
Posted By: The Pook Re: le Fantôme de la liberté - 03/08/08 12:44 AM
Yup. Etymology is not everything when it comes to the formation and meaning of words.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: reneging the jalap - 03/08/08 01:32 AM
Etymology is not everything

That, too, is funny. It's only because of etymology that I find prequel to be a funny word, otherwise, it's pretty standard and rather unremarkable.
Posted By: MosesLiang Re: reneging the jalap - 03/08/08 01:39 AM
In 1999 here in China,when the film of Star Wars-Episode One:The Phantom Menace was shown,the Chinese translation of the title is Prequel.
I watched this movie with my ex-girl friend,but we break up later,so I have a clear memory.
© Wordsmith.org