Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Laura_Kennedy mystagogue - 11/12/07 02:58 PM
While not exactly a mystagogue, I am one of those people in line at the post office whose next errand you would probably never guess. I am a Hand Analyst! Not exactly a palmist, I do use some elements of traditional palmistry along with the modern study of dermatoglyphics (fingerprints), NOT to predict the future, but to explore a person's personality & character. I find that I can work with people this way more deeply and effectively than I did when I was a psychotherapist.
--Laura Kennedy, laura@handsecrets.com
Posted By: Jackie Re: mystagogue - 11/12/07 03:02 PM
I find that I can work with people this way more deeply and effectively than I did when I was a psychotherapist.

Mm--possibly, because people have different expectations of the two?
Posted By: Green19Room Re: mystagogue - 11/13/07 03:01 PM
In the email the defintion it gave was
"One who teaches mystical doctrines or one who inititates others intoa mystery cult."
I was wondering if anybody could tell me the definition of inititates, becuase i was unable to find it. I wasn't sure if it was a spelling mistake or if i am just getting less and less knowledgeable...
If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: mystagogue - 11/13/07 03:03 PM
undoubtedly that's a spelling error for initiates.

welcome to the Board!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: mystagogue - 11/13/07 03:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Green19Room

'defintion' is one I used to make so often that now I nearly always (manually) spell-check it.

-joe (or abbrev. it, def'n) friday
Posted By: R. Eastcourt Re: mystagogue - 11/13/07 08:11 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
Originally Posted By: Green19Room

'defintion' is one I used to make so often that now I nearly always (manually) spell-check it.

-joe (or abbrev. it, def'n) friday

Really? What is the definition of 'defintion'?

-bill (becuase I just want to know) gannon-
Posted By: tsuwm Re: mystagogue - 11/13/07 09:49 PM
defintion is a typo! what wasn't clear about that?!
-ron o.
Posted By: R. Eastcourt Re: mystagogue - 11/13/07 10:12 PM
I new that! I posted this becuase..........well, just becuase. Besides, I got a big kick out of 'def'n'.
But hey, if you're gonna' get the newbie for not dotting some i's or crossing some t's, i thought that it would be fun to get in their; and do a thorugh job. Sorry if i took up to much cbrspc.

-b'll(overly-apostrophized) g'nn'n-
Posted By: Green19Room Re: mystagogue - 11/14/07 07:22 AM
Well thank you all for your help, that was my first instinct (spelling error) but with some of the words that i get I need to over-ride that instinct inorder to learn more words and increase my vocabulary.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: mystagogue - 11/14/07 02:54 PM
Green: greetings and welcome to the board. Where are you from/what's your native language?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: mystagogue - 11/14/07 03:00 PM
>if you're gonna' get the newbie

how does my owning up to the same typo (esp. responding to a post which questioned that typo) constitute getting the newbie?

what's your agenda?

-joe (OFs get no respect) friday
Posted By: Green19Room Re: mystagogue - 11/14/07 03:38 PM
I'm from Calgary, Alberta and my native language is English. Although i have tried, unsuccessfully to master the language of french in school. I want to learn french and latin. What about yourself anna?
Posted By: R. Eastcourt Re: mystagogue - 11/16/07 10:15 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
defintion is a typo! what wasn't clear about that?!
-ron o.

No reason to shout. The original post misspelled 'because', 'becuase'. I was just being a smart-alex.

-bill (can't even tred water, let alone tsiwm) gannon-
Posted By: R. Eastcourt Re: mystagogue - 11/16/07 11:00 PM
what's your agenda?

-joe (OFs get no respect) friday
1. Attention

2. Be allowed to free-associate.

3. Win/lose tough arguments with experts.

4. Let you know how much I enjoy your posts without telling you how much I enjoy your posts.

5. Avoid chores.

6. Increase my understanding of language.

7. Enhance my vocabulary.

8. Partake in an educational setting without having to pay a tuition.

9. Learn the buttons-and-bows of this galdern machine.

9a. Meld phenomenalists with chaoticists into a legitimate third-party, capable of winning three US Senate seats by the year 2020.

10.Distract you just enough to have Gabrial sneak my in-season mare into your stallion's paddock next Wednesday. ( or Monday)

-bill ( lived a good life from MASH residuals) gannon
Posted By: R. Eastcourt Re: mystagogue - 11/17/07 03:47 AM
Quote:
how does my owning up to the same typo (esp. responding to a post which questioned that typo) constitute getting the newbie?

Becuase we all know that spell check would always catch that typo. Your gentle sarcasm was not lost in this sharn.
bill ( braire ) gannon
Posted By: tsuwm Re: mystagogue - 11/17/07 03:52 AM
>Becuase we all know that spell check would always catch that typo.

sure, if you bother to use spell check.

-joe (sham-a-lam-a-ding-dong) friday
Posted By: R. Eastcourt Re: mystagogue - 11/17/07 04:11 AM
Because.........their, I used spell check.
-bill ( ooh- heee - oooh- hah- hah- shim- sham- shim- a -lam- a ding -dong) gannon
Posted By: of troy Re: mystagogue - 11/17/07 04:17 AM
gentle sarcasm--huh?

tsuwm is rarely sarcastic, but when he is, he's not gentle about it!

but he is most usually a gentle kind man.

maybe, Just maybe, you mis read his post!

of course i, too could be wrong! But, i've been posting here pretty steadily for the past 7 years or so, and i've had the pleasure of meeting tsuwm in person, and i think i am a better judge of his character, (and when he is being sarcastic!)

I know i have a real problem with tone, (i sometimes sound harsh, when i am aiming for light banter) and i often have problems reading others tone

(ask poor Jackie.. i've learned to 'run' things past her.. Jackie, i repeatedly send her email or PM's and ask: "is this snarkly and mean? or am i being over sensetive and missing something?"--
most times, i am missing something..

Tone, is hard to judge..especially since, sometimes people post nasty stuff, and then slap on a smiley icon, and 'say' Just kidding..

it's hard to believe them..

other times, people gently point out.. that even the best of us, sometimes make typos.. and that the word in question, isn't a word.. (and it eludes us as we search for it in dictionaries) because its a typo!
Posted By: R. Eastcourt Re: mystagogue - 11/17/07 04:25 AM
My point exactly!!! My wife was reading her E's from home today and had to call people to decipher the tone of their e's. Snarls turned to "Oh, sorry, I just needed more info" Or, " I didn't mean 'right this minute' I just meant ASAP.
tsuwm is my favorite poster. ( sorry about 3rd person here) and I thought I could jab him with some good natured jibes.
I am pleased to have this conversation and everyone's concern.
Tom
Posted By: tsuwm Re: mystagogue - 11/17/07 04:25 AM
golly, troy, I'm *always being sarcastic (if not cynical).

-joe (there, I did it again) friday

p.s. - I wouldn't use an emoticon (<-spell-check flags that) if my reputation depended upon it.
Posted By: R. Eastcourt Re: mystagogue - 11/17/07 04:31 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHH ha ha. I'm no longer a "newbie", I'm a "journeyman". Now I can just shut up 'till it hurts.
Posted By: Jackie Re: mystagogue - 11/17/07 05:22 AM
I wouldn't use an emoticon ... if my reputation depended upon it.
Good thing it doesn't, then, eh? Reading you and Helen, y'all're makin' me smile!
Posted By: R. Eastcourt Re: mystagogue - 11/17/07 05:24 AM
Busted. Unequivocally busted.
I'm scheduled to coach a basketball team of 4th and 5th grade boys and girls. To date; we have no team name. I'm thinking.............The Wendish Tsuwm's. But I hate that rabbit as mascot. I'm thinking.....a fierce looking potato, slathered with paprika.
Any ideas?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: mystagogue - 11/17/07 06:29 AM
how 'bout "None of the Above"?

-joe (unless they're better than that) friday
Posted By: R. Eastcourt Re: mystagogue - 11/17/07 06:44 AM
How else can I crown you Queen?
bill(aphoristically yours)gannon
Posted By: zmjezhd the name's Gog, Peter Gog - 11/17/07 02:55 PM
we have no team name

How about the Messrs Gog, Magog, & Company?
© Wordsmith.org