Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Peter K Words related to fabrics - 09/17/07 01:32 PM
One that you won't see in many (any) dictionaries is a common descriptor used in the Nudist community (of which I am a member). That word is "textile" used to describe someone who prefers to wear clothes, especially one wearing clothes in an area usually frequented by nudists.

You can see many references to this if you Google the words 'nudist' and 'textile'.

As well, I've always taken exception to the idea that the 3 basic necessities of life are "shelter, clothing, and food"! If you're in a warm enough area, there is absolutely no need for clothing.
Posted By: klc Re: Words related to fabrics - 09/17/07 03:22 PM
linsey-woolsey's meaning as an inappropriate mix comes from the Jewish Torah (old testament) in which one of the prohibitions is to wear such a mixture.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Words related to fabrics - 09/17/07 03:42 PM
The prohibition of wearing linsey-woolsey occurs in two places in the Torah: "Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee." Leviticus xix.1; and "Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together." (Deuteronomy xxii.11) As you can see cross-breading is forbidden, but monoculture is encouraged. Cheeseburgers are also right out: "Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk." Deuteronomy xiv.21.
Posted By: Zed Re: Words related to fabrics - 09/17/07 08:13 PM
Hi Peter
I take it you're not from Whitehorse.
Posted By: Peter K Re: Words related to fabrics - 09/17/07 08:24 PM
No, not Whitehorse . Way more southern ... Toronto.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Words related to fabrics - 09/17/07 09:01 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
... Cheeseburgers are also right out: "Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk." Deuteronomy xiv.21.

Tell that to your LOLcat!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Words related to fabrics - 09/17/07 11:19 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind

Gender?! Anthimeria in the King James?!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Words related to fabrics - 09/18/07 02:12 AM
Nice to have you, PK. I will say, though, re: If you're in a warm enough area, there is absolutely no need for clothing. -- just to name a few things, I wouldn't want to pick blackberries in the nude; long sleeves and pant legs protect from many bug bites and sunburn, and that boots can protect from snakebite. Oh, and I was very thankful my son was wearing a loose, long-sleeved sweatshirt when that dog tried to bite him on the arm but only got a mouthful of shirt.
Posted By: of troy Re: Words related to fabrics - 09/18/07 02:57 AM
every human culture dresses--all cover genitals, many others dress for ornimentation. (in some tropical countries, tatoo's sub for ornimentation)

clothing has some function (like picking blackberries!) but more often then not it is a social status reference.. (the cloths do make the man or woman.. be it jeans, or formal wear, or uniforms.. (everything from a mc donalds worker to the police officer))

you'd think then that nudist colonies/parks would be more socially 'flat' but.. they are self selected group, and status is still defined (just not with clothes)
© Wordsmith.org