Wordsmith.org
Posted By: malandro haplology - 05/03/07 07:46 AM
Will "haplology" become shortened to "haplogy" - by its own definition?
Posted By: Faldage Re: haplology - 05/03/07 12:10 PM
Haplogy does get some forty-odd ghits but they seem to be mostly either from random lists of keywords designed to maximize google exposure or jocular references to malandro's idea that "haplology" should, itself, be subject to the process.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: haplology - 05/03/07 12:17 PM
I would guess that the first "L" would get dropped, not the "O": hapology.

I got 234 ghits with hapology.
Posted By: Faldage Re: haplology - 05/03/07 04:15 PM
I know there's a tendency for Rs to get lost after bilabials and labio-dentals (see liberry, Febyuary, speak, and infastructure). I wonder if the same holds for Ls.

So I googled "hapology" and some of them seem to be actual instances of the process, including at least one master's thesis.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: haplology - 05/03/07 06:32 PM
Oi, Malandro. Brasileiro?
Posted By: Faldage Re: haplology - 05/03/07 06:51 PM
OTOH, since haplology is defined as the loss of a syllable, and since hapology loses only the L and not a syllable, hapology is not an instance of haplology. It's something else that I never rember the name of.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: haplology - 05/03/07 07:15 PM
>it's something else

some kind of metaplasm.. syncope?
Posted By: Faldage Re: haplology - 05/03/07 09:35 PM
Yup, metaplasm is the cover term for any kind of change involving addition, omission, or transpostion of letters or sounds in a word. Syncope seems to cover whatever it is we're looking for and haplology. Where's Nunc when you need him?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: haplology - 05/04/07 03:27 AM
Where's Nunc when you need him?

What, huhn? Syncope covers the haplology to hapology, although tsuwm's links lead me to clipping which sounds like the new-fangled terminology of linguists unused to classical terms ... back to sleep ...
Posted By: Faldage Re: haplology - 05/04/07 10:42 AM
Looks like it covers it but there's a lot of blanket left over for other stuff. Ain' there nothin' covers it without no room left over in the tent for nothin' else?
Posted By: DDD Re: haplology - 05/04/07 08:03 PM
A widespread instance of haplology, certainly in the UK, occurs in the oft-heard short forms 'deteri(or)ate', 'deteri(or)ating' etc.
Is this an instance of language evolving, or of it deteriorating?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: haplology - 05/04/07 08:37 PM
Is this an instance of language evolving, or of it deteriorating?

Neither. It is a regionalism.
© Wordsmith.org