Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BranShea This week's zoo - 01/30/07 11:51 AM
Always amazed about how from the source of a word so many at first sight not connecting words come heaped together.
The first word cynosure produced half a zoo.(if you count each dog mentioned seperately)
That all sorts of dogs came out of it is understandable in conncetion with the planetary origin . But what about the canary and the caterpillar? A microdog turning into a butterfly?

On the fifth day we have:
all kinds of dogs
caterpllar
canary
cat (chatoyant is private for the cat)
rooster
dragon
bull

(pretty poor zoo)
Posted By: Jackie Re: This week's zoo - 01/30/07 12:52 PM
Hoo boy, you ain't kiddin':
The term is derived from Latin Cynosura (Ursa Minor), from Greek kynosoura (dog's tail), ultimately
from the Indo-European root kwon- (dog) that is also the source of canine, chenille (from French chenille: caterpillar, literally, little dog), cynic, kennel, canary, hound, dachshund, and corgi.]

I hadn't looked at it yet; thanks!

From the "other" OED (prize of half a chewed doggie bone to whoever figures that out):
canary
1584, of the wine; 1655, of the songbirds (short for Canary-bird, 1576), from Fr. canarie, from Sp. canario, from L. Insula Canaria "Canary Island," largest of the Fortunate Isles, lit. "island of dogs," (canis, gen. canarius) since large dogs lived there. Hence, the name of the little bird from the island. The name was extended to the whole island group (Canariæ Insulæ) by the time of Arnobius (c.300).
Posted By: BranShea Re: This week's zoo - 01/30/07 03:00 PM
My thanks go to you! Jackie. I never thought of looking up canary.
I've been there once. Can't remember having seen one dog on Dog- island nor any canary in the wild. Must have been all packed up in little cages and sent abroad.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: This week's zoo - 01/30/07 03:08 PM
You know I was going to offer today's word, chatoyant, as a hogwash round a few months ago but ultimately decided that it's actual definition would be too easy to pick out from among the riff raff. Anyway, so far the theme seems to be animal-related words beginning with C.
Posted By: BranShea Re: This week's zoo - 02/01/07 03:46 PM
dragoon
[From French dragon (dragon, to dragoon).]

dragon

A Dutch word is written exactly alike, but dragon stands for a green kitchen herb (Engl. tarragon) of the Artemisia famliy. (good combination freshly used with chicken) .
Cultivated in kitchengardens, growing in the wild in Greece for certain .
Dragoon also found its way to the lowland- language as dragonder : old word for soldier.

Dragon.
From M.L. tragonia, from Byzantine Gk. tarchon, from Arabic tarkhon, from a non-Arabic source, perhaps Gk. drakon (from drakontion "dragonwort"). Eastern European plant of the wormwood genus (Artemisia Dracunculus), whose aromatic leaves were used for flavoring (especially vinegar). Cf. Sp. taragona, It. targone, Fr. estragon.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: This week's zoo - 02/02/07 03:12 PM
dragoon

The carbines that dragoons carried were called dragons. Grenadiers and fusiliers used to carry grenades (cf pomegranate) and fusils (light muskets). Cuirassiers wore cuirasses; lancers carried lances; chausseurs and Jägers chased or hunted. Then there's the hats they wore: czapkas, busbies, bearskins, shakos, etc.
Posted By: BranShea Re: This week's zoo - 02/02/07 04:59 PM
The carbines that dragoons carried were called dragons.
De karabijnen die dragonders droegen werden genoemd dragons.

I really wanted to put these sentences together, so similar English can be to Dutch. (only the last two words had to exchange places)

But it shows how English needs less space to make the sentence.
Posted By: Aramis Re: This week's zoo - 02/02/07 07:46 PM
That brings to mind some mild elation upon, despite not knowing ten words of Dutch at the time, A. could easily read an Amsterdam street sign. It was one with the no-parking symbol and [the spelling may be off a bit] "LAANGER DAN 1/2 HUR".
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: a zed and two noughts - 02/02/07 08:13 PM
De karabijnen die dragonders droegen werden genoemd dragons.

A beautiful language. I love the velar, uvular, and glottal quality of its fricatives.

so similar English can be to Dutch

English and Dutch are quite close, both being varieties of Low German. Only Frisian is considered to be closer to English.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: a zed and two noughts - 02/02/07 08:21 PM
Quote:

English and Dutch are quite close, both being varieties of Low German. Only Frisian is considered to be closer to English.

Could you explain this a little more? The few links I have, such as
http://www.bartleby.com/61/indoeuro.html and
http://softrat.home.mindspring.com/germanic.html show English and Low German both being part of the West Germanic family, but do not show English as a variety of Low German. Unless I'm misunderstanding what is meant by "variety", which seems quite likely.
Posted By: BranShea Re: a zed and two noughts - 02/02/07 09:20 PM
"It was one with the no-parking symbol and [the spelling may be off a bit] "LAANGER DAN 1/2 HUR".

That is good memory! Aramis . "LANGER DAN 1/2 UUR" longer than half hour.
---------

"English and Dutch are quite close, both being varieties of Low German. Only Frisian is considered to be closer to English."

Yes, zmjezhd that is true about Frisian. Yet English and Dutch share one famous middle- Dutch middle- English sentence : " Olla vogala hebban nestas begunnan, hinase (without)ic enda tu"

That's about how I rembember it from the first English litterature lesson. It's a well known link, but I should look it up and here it is very late. Wish the world would be flat, this time difference would be less. (I guess)

True. German in it simplest form can be more or less understood without training , but very little. It is a total different language now. And needs real study just like English and French.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: a zed and two noughts - 02/02/07 10:52 PM
show English and Low German both being part of the West Germanic family, but do not show English as a variety of Low German. Unless I'm misunderstanding what is meant by "variety", which seems quite likely.

I was sloppy. Sorry about that. Most of the West Germanic languages form dialect continua across the Low Lands and Germany (Switzerland and Austria). Anglo-Frisian (i.e., English, Scots, and Frisian) are distinct from Old Frankish (Old Franconian, i.e., Dutch, Flemish, Afrikaans) and Low German (lots of northern German Plattdeutsches). In fact, in the area where I lived (Bonn), the local dialects are sometimes called Middle German (between High and Low German). This area is called the Rhenish Fan because dialect isoglosses diverge there in a fan-like shape. Anglo-Frisan, Low German, Middle German, and Old Frankish all share some interesting traits that High German doesn't: retains t in words like Kölsch et, English it, High German es English eat, High German essen; 2nd Germanic Sound Shift didn't take place Eng make, Du maken HG machen, Eng two, Du twee, HG zwei, Eng apple, HG Apfel. Historically the dialects that became Old English (language of the Angles and Saxons) came from around southern Jutland and Schleswig-Holstein, where North Germanic (Danish) and Low German dialects are spoken today. The other Saxons migrated to what's now Saxony in Eastern Germany.
Posted By: Zed Re: This week's zoo - 02/03/07 12:17 AM
Aramis, my favorite Dutch street sign was posted outside a 30'x30' fenced-in sandbox and said "hunden toiletten" with a drawing underneath of a squatting dachsund!
No trouble translating that one either.
Posted By: BranShea Re: This week's zoo - 02/03/07 09:47 AM
Sorry Zed , ( though not in language, once a teacher always a teacher.)
"hunden"should be "honden". (pron. o )
Hund is German and in German nouns always get a capital to start with.
So: "Hund". (pron. oo) ( plural is Hunde ) No, no umlaut.

It's a pity dogs nor apparently their owners can read very well. (that was a ridiculous, total failure mesurement).

You mentioned one of the problem sides of Holland. Now there is a law to clear up your dogs'mess and slowly the situation improves.
(not quick enough, not enough legal control)
I like the way this works well in U.S. You can walk without beeing on the alert all the time.
Posted By: Zed Re: This week's zoo - 02/07/07 12:26 AM
Thanks for the correction, I saw the sign 9 years ago so altho' the joke stayed with me the spelling apparently didn't.
Posted By: BranShea Re: This week's zoo - 02/07/07 01:59 PM
Quote:

Thanks for the correction, I saw the sign 9 years ago so altho' the joke stayed with me the spelling apparently didn't.

Yes,and what a joke it was! 30'X 30' and it did not work for 1'

Still good you remember our silly ways in dealing with half a million Amsterdam dogs!
Posted By: Aramis Re: This week's zoo - 02/07/07 08:12 PM
Some comfort then in a small bad Dutch spelling club. Should have dug out the photograph of the sign to type from [it was amusing enough to take one]. But it likely would have taken an uur langer for the post. Dank U, BranS
Posted By: BranShea Re: This week's zoo - 02/07/07 08:35 PM
Tot Uw dienst. Complimenten voor perfecte spelling!
© Wordsmith.org