Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BranShea Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/26/06 08:03 AM
The positive side of beeing a non native English language and litterature lover is that a new word really comes to you blank, brand new. The neg. side is that you make mistakes, misspellings and miss guesses.
I'm referring , not to prelapsarian of which we got the immediate explanation but to another word new to me in the fragment quote:
bucolic . I had to look it up and expected a tantrum sort of a word. Great was my surprise that it meant: arcadian, rural and more of these peaceful words.
I connected (at first sight ) bucolic with alcoholic, diabolic, workoholic,colic.
This from memory, maybe there are more words ending in 'olic' that are not on the peaceful side of life. Or just on the bucolic side. Anyway I was surprised and I'm sure not the one who could explain it. One of you perhaps.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/26/06 10:26 AM
*olic

And that's just the common words.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/26/06 11:58 AM
this isn't specifically about bucolic, but might lend some added insight:

bucolic
Posted By: Jackie Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/26/06 12:27 PM
This is the best help I could find, Branny-Granny ( ); perhaps some real word-origin experts can add some enlightenment as to whether the -olic meaning is also applicable to other words in the list:
bucolic
1523, from L. bucolicus, from Gk. boukolikos "rustic," from boukolos "herdsman," from bous "cow" + -kolos "tending," related to L. colere "to till (the ground), cultivate, dwell, inhabit" (the root of colony).

Online Etymology Dictionary
Posted By: Aramis Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/26/06 12:27 PM
Perhaps one would hope to frolic in a place that is bucolic .
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/26/06 03:30 PM
Thanks. Jackie-be-Lucky , for the Online Etymology Dictionary to add to my favorites. I try to make head and tail from their information.
I try to keep my replies in one post so:
etaoin , I visited your pleasant 2005 nautically bucolic thread and although I think your wife has the right of it I would give it a 2006 try by calling it hydrarcadian.(not a total beauty, but see some seagrass waving and the occasional seacow)
Aramis II Yes! Frolic . !! Positive!
Symbolic came to my mind as a word that takes no sides.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/26/06 08:43 PM
> I think your wife has the right of it

say what?!
Posted By: nancyk Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/26/06 10:54 PM
>> When I asked spouse Laverne she immediately replied "There probably isn't one," <<

Probably confusing Dale's reply to your post with a post by you, eta.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/27/06 05:43 AM
Quote:

say what?!

Excuse me, Etaoin. A mistake.(Senectitude). It was indeed dalehileman who was referring to his spouse's opinion. Sorry. Still it was a nice thread to read.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Huh? - 09/27/06 11:21 AM
Where's Dale's reply? It doesn't show up here on little Mr Laptop.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Huh? - 09/27/06 11:36 AM
Anna! I can't believe I just read that, when I've had Ridin' Dirty running through my mind...!
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Huh? redux - 09/27/06 12:10 PM
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/chamillionaire/ridin.html
Posted By: Jackie Re: Huh? redux - 09/27/06 12:16 PM
Whoa--I don't think quite all those lyrics made it into the version I hear on the radio. Weird Al's version (White and Nerdy), now, I can understand pretty well.
Posted By: nancyk Re: Huh? - 09/27/06 12:25 PM
>>Where's Dale's reply?<<

Click on eta's bucolic link and Dale's reply is the 10th post down.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/27/06 12:51 PM
Quote:

Quote:

say what?!

Excuse me, Etaoin. A mistake.(Senectitude). It was indeed dalehileman who was referring to his spouse's opinion. Sorry. Still it was a nice thread to read.

ah, that makes more sense. I prolly could've figured that out had I read the thread a bit closer!

I'm about a month out from my divorce finalization, hence my surprise!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/27/06 01:44 PM
Jackie , I had a little shock here too that got me to the Huh?-section.
8659 posts? How many lifes have you got? That's if I'm right: 23.7 years of one post a day or one year of 23.7 posts a day.
AWSOME!Amazing!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/29/06 01:20 AM
Oh, it's the latter, definitely...
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/29/06 11:31 AM
What a week!

theriac can be an antidote for citizens suffering
from senectitude to use as a prevenient for senile symptoms and melancholy and bring back the prelapsarian days. Only for those who are not faint of heart and bravely face the loss of sight, hearing and a small list of other minor 'discomforts.'
I look at the future with great confidence
( ban from my mind the bucolic setting of a wheelchair or maybe I'll go for the weak heart)

And keep some pet vipers for diacritical use.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/29/06 12:35 PM
Quote:

Jackie , I had a little shock here too that got me to the Huh?-section.
8659 posts? How many lifes have you got? That's if I'm right: 23.7 years of one post a day or one year of 23.7 posts a day.
AWSOME!Amazing!

ah, too bad you never met Uncle Bill... 13858

course, there's always Faldage: 10275

Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 09/29/06 07:10 PM
10275 in six years comes to an average of 4.6 posts a day and Uncle Bill is beyond counting and Jackie is quite reasonable at about 2 post a day average and I don't even like calculating. So words, back to words again. I just suddenly looked at these numbers. Words!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/01/06 12:57 AM
So, Branny, you've got a lot of catching up to do!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/01/06 07:19 AM
Yeh! But it's like an ice skating tour: Don't count the miles, just look at the beautiful horizon. Wait and see when I won't have to work no more.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/02/06 12:53 AM
An ice skating tour? What the heck is that? I live far enough south that ice skating is available only in indoor rinks. VERY occasionally we'll have cold enough temps. that maybe the creeks and small ponds might freeze over, but I can't imagine going out on something where you might break through and fall into that icy water. Terror!
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/02/06 12:55 PM
Ooo, Jackie, you have to come up to Ottawa in the dead of winter. You can skate along the Rideau Canal. Booths are set up for snacks and everything. It's quite pretty.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/02/06 02:43 PM
Ice skating tours
http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1466qo1.jpg

http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/5213/img1471qy5.jpg

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/8156/img1463ji0.jpg

These are pictures from the Grand Tour,(11 Towns'Tour) 150 miles long winding through small towns and villages and crossing a number of lakes. This one takes place only once in so many years as the ice has to be real strong. In milder winters there are smaller tours, organised all over the country and medals given for the different distances you choose. Hot chocolate and green pea soup and sandwiches along the route.
(My longest:60 miles,I never did the Grand.)But when the Grand Tour is on ,the whole country goes nuts and TV covers from 5 AM till midnight.

Happy to read that Canadians understand the magic!
Eyes on the horizon and Twilight on a frozen lake.(Dylan)
In prelapsarian days, before the warming-up times, we had better winters. Last one:1997
Posted By: Jackie Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/03/06 01:41 AM
Ice skating tours pictures. Aaagh! [recoil in terror e] I can't even really imagine people ice skating outside...

So now all you northern people know that I don't really know what I'm talking about, all those times I've said I wanna move up north. But I do know I hate the heat (which we typically have here from the first of May till the end of October {more than one Halloween, I took the kids trick-or-treating in shirt sleeves}), and all those southern-hemisphereans who are now heading into summer have my pity.
Posted By: of troy Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/03/06 03:21 AM
Oh thank you BranShea! NY (the former New Amsterdam) has lots of ice skating rinks, and some places that are safe to iceskate, but often our winters are too mild--but i don't know of anywhere in US where there are ice skating tours of that sort!
but there have been (in my life) times when the north (hudson) river has frozen hard enough for people to walk over it. (its always discourage!)
(pretty impressive since a good deal of NYC's (treated) sewerage goes into the river (and is a good deal warmer))

Jackie, don't you know the story of Hans Brinker and the silver skates? its about a boy who longs to win a iceskating race/contest and win the prize of skates with silver blades. I guess i have always thought of the netherlands as being the home to:
tulips
canals
windmills
and skating.(and cookies)
when i went to amsterdam, i felt right at home, there is still a dutch flavor to parts of NY-enough so amsterdam had feeling of home.
(NYC's flag has a dutch windmill as one of its elements, as well as the color orange-(from the house of orange-the royal house of the netherlands in the 1600's)

(we've been having lovely cool weather, and the news reports have started posting "optimal color" maps for veiwing fall foliage. (the best now is up in maine, and northern NE- Wow (and southern NE have just entered the 'start' of the fall colors.)
in the spring, they report on the best time for cherry blossums, moving upward from DC to the northern suburbs of NY--
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/03/06 06:58 PM
of troy; Thanks for the information about old new Amsterdam. In the prelapsarian period (in the discipline of this thread) in which I still travelled a lot I spent a few winters in the Berkshires (Mass). I always brought my speed skates.
Ultimate bucolic setting to me was a frozen lake near Great Barrington
(1979)where I was alone on the deep frozen ice on my skates. Not a soul to be seen. Only snow on the hills, grey sky and the sound of the irons touching the ice. Heaven!
Here I would not have a chance to be all alone on the ice. No way.
But when winters her really strike all the cliche numbers from your list are still there. I'm glad you felt at home in Amsterdam.
Alternative Grand Tours are now often done in west- Canada. The real long-distance addicts and professinels (they do excist)have no patience to wait for the good frost to come. They move to Austria Switserland or Canada. They also tried Finland and froze to bits.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/03/06 07:03 PM
Error:TYPOTERROR: professionels of course.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/03/06 08:45 PM
Quote:

are those, like, amateurish professionals?!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/04/06 10:16 AM
Quote:

Quote:

are those, like, amateurish professionals?!

No, those are professionel professionals . They are well payed marathon riders sponsored by banks and other companies.
Like professional cyclists.(bike riders?)

The amateur both at skating as at English is me. My profession is painter/art teacher with right now a show of winter paintings coming up.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7961/img1248en8.jpg
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/04/06 12:11 PM
Quote:

Ice skating tours pictures. Aaagh! [recoil in terror e] I can't even really imagine people ice skating outside...

It's funny that comment Jackie. It reminds me that what seems so normal to one person can be extraordinary to another.

Here in Québec, nearly every park has an outdoor skating rink in the wintertime. Most of them are hockey rinks, but many parks are big enough to have a wide, iced-up ring around the hockey rink so folks can skate when there's a pick-up game on.

Parks too small to have a hockey rink will often have a simple iced-up ring or square.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/04/06 01:16 PM
Yeah, but those are like, built ones, right? Nice and safe--no frigid water below to fall into should the ice give way. Some time after my last post above, I remembered that we at least used to have one of those downtown by the river; but it had to be maintained with artificial cold a good part of the time, that's for sure.

Helen--yes, I read Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates, but to me it was just a story, like Lassie Come Home --not about something that actually happened.

Branshea--at first, I thought you were going to put They also tried Finland and froze their bits. Yes, that means what you think it does!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/04/06 02:58 PM
I think the only parts that did not freeze were their bits, if I understand you right. Fingers, noses. toes, eyes,really! Jackie : you are right in this that a good skating season always brings a few fatal casualties.But so does the bathing season at the coast. The hunting season in Italy, where they sometimes take their fellow men for deer or poor little birds.
Helen: funny,I always thought that Lassie Come Home really happened. The first serious movie I ever saw.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/04/06 05:19 PM
what seems so normal to one person can be extraordinary to another.
For sure--I had part of a game show on TV while I was getting ready to go out. One of the questions was where did people get their first kiss. One of the responses was "at the beach". This is a response that hardly anybody in my part of the world would even think of. We do have places where sandy areas lead to water, but we say we're at the lake, or at the river.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/04/06 07:30 PM
At? Not in? or on?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/05/06 12:54 AM
Um--as far as I know, yes. Perhaps coastal dwellers say it differently, but I've always heard, for ex., "We were at the beach when you tried to call us", meaning literally on the sand, or in the water, or at a concession stand--whatever's there in the area. On the beach would be very specific, I think...maybe as in, "Thank goodness we were on the beach when the big shark swam by". I've never heard anyone say in the beach.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/05/06 10:46 AM
No,I meant are you never in the lake? or on it? In the river or on it?
Or does the word at cover this too?
Maybe you have crocodiles in the rivers?
Nay, in the beach , of course not unless you dig a whole so deep you can call yourself in the beach. Sometimes kids will do that . Go so deep you won't see their heads any more.
Posted By: of troy Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/05/06 03:42 PM
Yeah, we "go to the beach" (and swim in ocean) and if using past tense, i would say "i was at the beach yesterday" (i might go on and say "the water was cold, (or warm, or rough, or..)--since most often, one goes to the beach to swim.

If i went to a lake to swim, i would say 'We went to lake welsch" (harriman state park) or some other lake. (and most would presume for swimming,--if you went out rowing on the lake or fishing, you'd say that) (and i would presume the same if Jackie or anyone else said "we went to the lake (or to lake such and such)"

no one swims in North(hudson river) in NY metro area.
the current is that strong, but there are no safe area's to enter the water (not to mention, its not all that clean--it much cleaner that it was 20 years ago, but...) NY's other 'rivers' aren't rivers (harlem river, east river) but tidal straights (and in the 'east river' the tides cause a current that can 'run' as fast as 20 knots--so its definately not safe to swim in! (these salt water 'rivers' never freeze)

there are some beaches in NYC on Long Island Sound (in the bronx) most of NYC's beaches are ocean beaches --coney island-brooklyn) and Rockaway--queens are the big ones, there are others (really extention of the same barrier islands, just different sections have specific names. (west end of rockaway is 'breezy point', east end is "far rockaway" --but an out of towner would have trouble recognizing these as different 'beaches' (one barrier island, a 10 miles stretch of sandy shore!)

as for rinks, there is at least one ice skating rink per borough, (free or low cost city park rinks) and i know in many parts of US people build out door rinks by just setting up some 2X4's and filling them with water and letting them freeze. In NYC is rarely cold enought to make such a rink worthwhile--though i suspect some upstater's might do it.
the netherlands, with its canals and northern climate, is unique in having 'winter/ice' highways for skating.
Posted By: Aramis Re: Prelapsarians on Ice - 10/05/06 05:36 PM
Pondered at one time how expressing presence on an island is flexible, e.g., "on Barbados", "in Barbados", "at Barbados", in contrast to elsewhere less so [never heard "on Kansas"]. In the case of something like a lake it would seem to depend on whether it is frozen over. If it is, certainly one would hope to be 'on' vice 'in' the lake.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarians on Ice - 10/05/06 06:52 PM
You can be on a river without it being frozen.Yes, many possibilities with on in at. What do you say f.i.when you are in a boat? On the river? At the river? Is a boat sailing on the sea or at sea? When talking of sailors one says: they are at sea? We say 'op zee', 'on sea.'(that's the confusing thing) The song says: Sailing on the river on a Sunday afternoon. But a sailor is at sea.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prelapsarian and bucolic - 10/05/06 07:11 PM
Helen, thanks for this clear lay-out of the waterways round New York.
Yet, when the world was young in 1979 I remember standing at the bank of the Hudson river (right in New York, west side), packed with drift-ice. And indeed it hurried amazingly fast towards the river mouth.Fascinating.
That must have been a special cold winter.Temperatures lower than I had ever experienced at home.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic language vagaries - 10/10/06 06:48 PM
Prepositions are funny things, Bran. Not only do they vary from language to language, but also within English itself: In the US you live on Main Street; in the UK you live in it.
Posted By: Zed Re: language vagaries - 10/10/06 07:24 PM
and we get on a plane but in a car.
Posted By: BranShea Re: language vagaries - 10/10/06 07:56 PM
Yes, they are AnnaS. We here live in a steet, on a Square or Lane (both of nobler substance) and on or at a quay (waterworld). Wish they had one preposition for all.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: language vagaries - 10/10/06 09:04 PM
> Wish they had one preposition for all.

where would be the fun in that?
Posted By: BranShea Re: language vagaries - 10/11/06 08:19 AM
It is fun in? Not at or on? Sure? Are you making fun of me? And people can have fun at something. You're right! They are fun! We would f.i. miss the fun of this thread.
We say fly with the plane. Just as illogical as on a plane. In it seems most logic.
OK. They stay. And it is for us foreigners to make the mistakes.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: language vagaries - 10/11/06 09:39 AM
> Are you making fun of me?

nope. with you.
Posted By: BranShea Re: language vagaries - 10/11/06 10:12 AM
happy end to the argument.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: language vagaries - 10/11/06 12:50 PM
Quote:

happy end to the argument.

no argument there.
Posted By: Zed Re: language vagaries - 10/12/06 10:42 PM
and at the New York Library you have to get on line to get on-line.
edit:
at ours you line up by getting in line to get on-line.
Posted By: BranShea Re: language vagaries - 10/13/06 08:27 AM
Quote:

and at the New York Library you have to get on line to get on-line.
edit:
at ours you line up by getting in line to get on-line.

© Wordsmith.org