Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Suzanne_Chimick Slang - 09/11/06 03:41 PM
Not from the"gritty streets" but from my own home, my children have made up words that are regularly used as normal conversation in our family. The word 'enjoyn' as in 'May I enjoyn you?'is my favourite. It is short for 'May I join you where you are simply to enjoy your company.'
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Slang - 09/11/06 10:56 PM
A most equitable term.

And despite the egregious pun, welcome to the board.
Posted By: Zed Re: Slang - 09/12/06 07:14 PM
Welcome to the board - without any despites at all.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Slang - 09/15/06 05:24 PM
"enjoyn" gets 14,000 ghits but very few defs. Literally if it were the blend I might suppose, it means to forbid the enjoyable. But from a quick googling it might mean not to forbid but to join such an activity; so it would appear somewhat contradictory. I'm open to thoughtful defs
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Slang - 09/15/06 05:50 PM
> I'm open to thoughtful defs

excuse me for button inn; but wye wood you want defs for watt appear to be (manely) thoughtless misspells?!
-ron o.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Slang - 09/15/06 06:32 PM
Quote:

"enjoyn" gets 14,000 ghits but very few defs. Literally if it were the blend I might suppose, it means to forbid the enjoyable. But from a quick googling it might mean not to forbid but to join such an activity; so it would appear somewhat contradictory. I'm open to thoughtful defs

Suzanne said her kids made up the word, and provided their "def"
Posted By: Zed Re: Slang - 09/15/06 10:51 PM
Hey, there's an idea for a twisted version of hogwash with a term coined and used just by your family. You'd have to mark it as such so folks aren't looking for latinate roots etc. We could call it swine flu.
I happen to like the original def. from Suzannes kids.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Slang - 09/15/06 10:52 PM
Anna: But if her kids made it up how come it yields 14,000 Ghits

Surely they can't all be misspellings
Posted By: Faldage Re: Slang - 09/16/06 12:57 AM
Quote:

Anna: But if her kids made it up how come it yields 14,000 Ghits

Surely they can't all be misspellings

Independent invention. It's not all that big a jump as a simple portmanteau from "join" and "enjoy".
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Slang - 09/16/06 02:52 PM
Fal: Good point. However, without upon minute examination exhausting all 14,000 Ghits, how would you best define the expr

Thanks guys
Posted By: Faldage Re: Slang - 09/16/06 05:04 PM
En-joyn

1. v.tr. to enjoy (someone's) company.

2. Misspelling of enjoin (q.v.)
© Wordsmith.org