Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman porch dog - 05/27/06 02:26 PM
Anyone know the age and origin of today's expr

A person who frequently attacks others in speech or writing...

Incidentally, it apparently has more than one meaning, as

www.myspace.com/shawn_adlerA porch dog is a dog who comes to your porch to hang out with you, but isn't yours. ... I had a porch dog for a while last night and that was sweet. ...
profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user. viewprofile&friendid=34211717

--thanks all
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: perch dagh - 05/27/06 05:26 PM
Well, *~, I suppose.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: perch dagh - 05/30/06 11:32 PM
zm: Your subtlety far exceeds my powers of analysis
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: perch dagh - 06/02/06 03:04 PM
I had never heard the term porch dog before, but here in the south there are thousands of doublewides with falling down porches, many of which conceal a dusty dog of indescriminate heritage, all just waiting for the chance to ambush you as you get to the second stair.

Unable to get away, you must suffer the ignominy of waiting until the owner comes out and shoos away the dog which apparently has all of the teeth that the owner doesn't have any more. I used to run into this in the rescue squad about once a month. A CO2 extinguisher was handy in the extreme cases.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: perch dagh - 06/05/06 08:47 PM
Forgive me for bubbling this one back up--won't make it a habit-- but I would really appreciate any further inputs--thanks fellas
Posted By: Father Steve Re: perch dagh - 06/06/06 03:26 AM
I would really appreciate any further inputs

Really. Why?
Posted By: of troy Re: perch dagh - 06/06/06 12:39 PM
Quote:

Anyone know the age and origin of today's expr

(emphisis added)

todays expression from where? was it in the paper? an another mail service that sends out words (like AWAD)? or did you just happen to hear it in conversation or on the radio?

Quote:

Forgive me for bubbling this one back up--won't make it a habit-- but I would really appreciate any further inputs--thanks fellas

but you have already made a habit of bubbling back up your threads and asking for further input. (is this going to be the last time?)

and as Father Steve asks, why? you came to the well, found it dry, and think if you come again, its going to be different this time?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: perch dagh - 06/06/06 12:42 PM
geez Helen, lighten up.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: perch dagh - 06/06/06 02:55 PM
eta: Thanks but it's ok. After about 7 years of this sort of thing you get hardened

Helen:

Urban Word of the Day

May 27, 2006: porch dog

A person who frequently attacks others in speech or writing....
Origin: The phrase "porch dog" is used to refer to dogs that sit on front porches and bark....

Yeah, that guy has a scathing response to just about everyone who posts in this forum. He's [or she's] a real porch dog.

Posted By: dalehileman Re: perch dagh - 06/06/06 06:15 PM
Why not
Posted By: Aramis Re: perch dagh - 06/08/06 07:15 PM
A. takes exception with the phrase "just about everyone".
Posted By: Sparteye Re: perch dagh - 07/15/06 01:29 AM
I'd never heard this expression before, but we once had a porch cat. Some inane and cruel person dropped of a young cat in the countryside near our home, and she eventually came looking around our yard for food and shelter. I have a self-imposed I'm-not-going-to-turn-into-the-weird-cat-lady two-cat limit, and at the time our household was already at the limit, so I couldn't adopt her ... BUT ... we fed her and tended to her and looked for a home for her. We didn't let her inside, so she would meet us on the front porch, and so we started to call her our porch kitty. Then, of course, we named her Porsche.

Happily, Porsche ended up as the pampered pet in a one-cat, no-kids household.
Posted By: Faldage Re: perch dagh - 07/15/06 10:52 AM
My porch cat just hung around expecting to be fed. I had just moved in and assumed she was a neighbor cat that was used to visiting. Then one day she showed up with a left front paw the size of a frisbee and I took her to the vet. She then became my housemate. Later I figured that she had been the cat of the previous residents, college students who, no doubt, had to leave and Asphodel had chosen that time to take one of her three day jaunts, returning to find an empty house.
Posted By: Komowkwa Re: perch dagh - 07/17/06 05:50 AM
Quote:

we once had a porch cat.... Happily, Porsche ended up as the pampered pet in a one-cat, no-kids household.

We have 12 "porch cats." But with three porches, they are spread out somewhat. In any event, that is a little off topic.

We also have a "Yard Dog." Some people think a Yard Dog is a tractor. In Florida, a Yard Dog is an alligator. Much better at keeping visitors at bay than any Porch Dog.

By the way, cats are far too smart to go near an alligator.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: yard dog - 07/17/06 03:21 PM
Good grief, Komowkwa, I'm with the cats on this one; I'd also avoid your back yard. How do you shoo the alligator away so you can use your yard?
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: yard dog - 07/21/06 11:42 AM
Quote:

Good grief, Komowkwa, I'm with the cats on this one; I'd also avoid your back yard. How do you shoo the alligator away so you can use your yard?

Just go out and yell, "Shoe! Shoe!" Alligators hate threats like that.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: yard dog - 07/21/06 01:37 PM
HA!!!!!!
Posted By: Faldage Re: yard dog - 07/21/06 10:19 PM
Quote:

Just go out and yell, "Shoe! Shoe!" Alligators hate threats like that.

Or either they don't like the taste of your shoes, one.
Posted By: Zed Re: yard dog - 07/21/06 11:15 PM
TEd LOL
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: yard dog - 07/23/06 01:20 PM
> Shoe! Shoe!

yeah, and it sounds better than "Handbag! Handbag!"...
© Wordsmith.org