Wordsmith.org
Posted By: PikaPooch does anybody... - 06/26/01 09:13 PM
...know what nucleosis means and if i spelled it right

PikaPooch
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: does anybody... - 06/26/01 09:54 PM
I don't recall hearing the term except as part of infectious mononucleosis - a viral (Epstein-Barr Virus normally) disease most common in adolescents and young adults, characterised by swollen glands (hence it is aka Glandular Fever) and generally feeling pretty crappy. The mononucleosis part arises from the presence of a high number of mononuclear cells (aka lymphocytes) in the blood.

Literally then, I assume nucleosis is a high number of nuclei (with or without surrounding cells) in the blood, but there are much better terms for that.

Posted By: Brandon Re: does anybody... - 06/27/01 12:40 PM
Might you mean nucleolus, the small sack that holds the RNA in the nucleus of a cell?

Posted By: teresag Re: does anybody... - 06/27/01 12:53 PM
PikaPooch, what is the derivation of your screen name ? My mother-in-law formerly had a dog we dubbed "Pica" because of its tendency to eat non-food items. Welcome, by the way.

Posted By: maverick Re: does anybody... - 06/27/01 01:47 PM
I have suspicions that we are dealing with a ranamed pooch...

Posted By: jimthedog Re: does anybody... - 06/27/01 02:21 PM
I have suspicions that we are dealing with a ranamed pooch
No way in the world. No one in this house uses pokemon (),and in his (?) profile, there is mention of that game.

Posted By: wwh Re: does anybody... - 06/27/01 05:00 PM
Please is "ranamed" a typo or a genuine new word unknown to me?

Posted By: Faldage Re: does anybody... - 06/27/01 05:03 PM
a typo or a genuine new word

mav? typo? I must strongly pretest this impugning of our dear mav's competence.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: "a genuine new word" - 06/27/01 05:49 PM
<gulp> [now where the heck is that irony icon?]

Posted By: wwh Re: "a genuine new word" - 06/27/01 06:05 PM
"<gulp> [now where the heck is that irony icon?"

As Dorothy Parker might have said, the emotional range of the emoticons is from A to B. That is why I never use them.

Posted By: Faldage Re: "a genuine new word" - 06/27/01 06:11 PM
the emotional range of the emoticons is from A to B

Posted By: of troy give the dog some credit - 06/27/01 06:39 PM
Jim will tell you-- when i think he has been out of line--i've sent him a PM-- but as of late--he has been very well behaved-- I don't think he needs to hide behind a "second name".

check his profile, and read his posts-- he is slowly but surely getting better and better-- and he did mention that he has just completed 8th grade-- so he is 13-- or perhaps 14-- I'm pretty impressed with him..
Nah, he is not perfect -- but which of us is? some of us have been know to reduce threads to food-- not words.
and some there are/have been some pretty boring (my perspective)threads on cricket.. our pooch- who i suspect to be very young will either shape up--or get bored..

Its sometimes disturbing to have excited, loud, talkative kids in the library.. but do we want to ban kids from the library and keep it for the exclusive of scholars? Who will be our future scholars if we don't let kids get into the library and learn to love books?

we've had our Tom Swifts-- and our shaggy dogs, and more than our fair share of double entendres, puns and literal interpretations. we are not all serious here.. lets not be to hard on young pups..

Posted By: wwh Re: give the dog some credit - 06/27/01 07:17 PM
To dear Helen : A resounding "Hear, Hear!"

Posted By: Sparteye Re: give the dog some credit - 06/27/01 07:21 PM
Well said, of troy. And a big squeeky toy to jimthedog.

© Wordsmith.org