Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jheem crore - 01/09/04 07:36 PM
crore.
/'krQr/
[fr. Hindi karor, cf. Skt ko.ti]
100 lakhs, or 10 million rupees.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: crore - 01/26/04 02:14 PM
Now would this be hard crore or soft?

Seriously, jheem, why have you brought up this term? Was it mentioned on another thread, or is this a term that you think we should know about? I've never read 'crore' before nor have I read 'laks'--but, yes, rupeees I would have associated with some form of currency.

Posted By: Faldage Re: crore - 01/26/04 02:19 PM
You've heard laks before, Dub Dub', You've maybe even had them on a bagel, with cream cheese.

Posted By: jheem Re: crore - 01/26/04 02:22 PM
Well, it is an English word. I've heard and read it often, and I was surprised that Anu had lakh as AWAD, but not its sibling crore. I myself have never used crore in speech, except jocularly during the dot-bomb with Indian programmers, but found myself using (and having to understand) lakh when discussing my friend Krishnan's wedding (or the cost thereof) with his older brother Ganapati. Add to this that I am fascinated by the other Englishes of the world besides those of the States/Canada and the UK/Ireland. For example, African and Indian English.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: crore - 01/26/04 02:33 PM
I just checked out an exchange rate graph, and it appears that approximately 45.5 rupees = 1 dollar. Does this sound approximately correct? If so, I read the graph correctly.

Here's the site:

http://www.x-rates.com/d/INR/USD/graph120.html

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: the crore is 1-1 - 01/26/04 03:08 PM
tempting, Fald, very tempting...

Posted By: jheem Re: crore - 01/26/04 10:00 PM
Yes, it was about 42 to the dollar in 2000.

Posted By: jheem Re: crore - 01/26/04 10:03 PM
English lox and German Lachs are cognate with the Indian goddess of wealth, Lakshmi. The root has to do with reddish color and dappling.

Posted By: wwh Re: crore - 01/26/04 11:21 PM
I didn't know "lox" was English now. I remember buying
Laks and bagel back in the thirties.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: crore - ¿Qué? - 01/26/04 11:30 PM
I've never seen the word spelled with a "c" before, but have often seen it spelled with a "k". Which transliteration is more accurate, jheem? BTW, if you can recommend any good sites on subcontinental English that I could to the ones I already have on my links page, I would be very grateful.

Posted By: jheem Re: crore - ¿Qué? - 01/26/04 11:44 PM
I've always seen it spelled crore pronounced (in SAMPA) /krQr/ with 'Q' the vowel in law. In google I get 0.5 megahits for 'crore' and only around 300 for 'krore'. If you're transliterating from Hindi it'd be how I gave it in the etymology: krahor, but even non-Hindi-phone Indians might have a difficult time understanding it out of context. I'll check my links and yours and get back to you.

© Wordsmith.org