Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh p.168 - 07/23/03 05:24 PM
television - What badword idiot put this in a list of “Words Appearing Infrequently”?

tellurian
adj.
5< L tellus, gen. telluris, the earth (< IE base *telo3, flat surface > THILL, DEAL3) + 3AN6 of the earth; terrestrial
n.
1 an inhabitant of the earth
2 an apparatus for demonstrating how the earth‘s position and movement (diurnal rotation, annual revolution, etc.) cause day and night and the cycle of the seasons: also tel[lu4ri[on 739n#, 3!n8

tellurium
n.
5ModL: coined (1798) by M. H. Klaproth (1743-1817), Ger chemist, for element discovered (1783) by F. J. M. von Reichenstein, Austrian mineralogist < L tellus, earth (see TELLURIAN) + 3IUM, in contrast to URANIUM6 a rare, tin-white, brittle, nonmetallic chemical element, belonging to the same family of elements as sulfur and selenium and occurring naturally in mineral tellurite and tellurides: it is used as a glass tint, as an alloying material, and in thermoelectric converters: symbol, Te; at. wt., 127.60; at. no., 52; sp. gr., 6.24; melt. pt., 449.5UC; boil. pt., 989.8UC

telos - defined by Scripps-Howard as “an ultimate end or object.”

tempeh
n.
a cheeselike high-protein food, orig. of Indonesia, made with cooked soybeans fermented with a rhizopus fungus and used as a meat substitute, in salads, etc.

temporal, temporality,

tenace
n.
5< Sp tenaza, lit., tongs, pincers < L tenaces, things that hold fast < tenax: see fol.6 Bridge an imperfect sequence of high cards in the same unit, as the ace and queen without the king
Has television killed bridge yet?

tenant, tenderfoot, tenderize, tendinitis, tendinous

tendu - extended in a taut manner, as a leg in ballet

tenor, tenorless, tensely, tentacled, tentative, tentiform, temire.

teonanacatl - Sacred Mushroom, source of psilocybin for those who want to go nutty

terbium
n.
5ModL: so named (1843) by Mosander, its discoverer, after Ytterby: see ERBIUM6 a silver-gray, soft, ductile chemical element of the rare-earth metals, found in gadolinite and other minerals: symbol, Tb; at. wt., 158.925; at. no., 65; sp. gr., 8.23; melt. pt., 1,356UC; boil. pt., 3,123UC

teredo
n.,
pl. 3dos or 3di[nes# 73di ncz#8 5ME < L < Gr tercdbn, borer, akin to teirein, to rub: see THROW6 any of a genus (Teredo) of long shipworms that feed on wood

tergiversate
vi.
3sat#ed, 3sat#ing 5< L tergiversatus, pp. of tergiversari, to turn one‘s back, decline, shift < tergum, the back (see fol.) + versari, to turn: see VERSE6
1 to desert a cause, party, etc.; become a renegade; apostatize
2 to use evasions or subterfuge; equivocate
ter#gi[ver[sa4tion
n.
ter4gi[ver[sa#tor
n.
Tergiferous
<XPAGE=1487Ter*gif"er*ous (?), a. [L. tergum the back + -ferous.] Carrying or bearing upon the back. Tergiferous plants (Bot.), plants which bear their seeds on the back of their leaves, as ferns.

teriyaki
n.
5Jpn < teri, nominal form of teru, to shine + yaki, nominal form of yaku, to broil: so called because the sauce makes the meat or fish shiny6 a Japanese dish consisting of meat or fish marinated or dipped in spiced soy sauce and broiled, grilled, or barbecued

tern - leave no stone unturned, no stern untoned, no tern unstoned

ternary
adj.
5ME < L ternarius < terni, three each < tres, THREE6
1 made up of three parts or things; threefold; triple
2 third in order or rank
3 Chem. of or containing three different atoms, elements, radicals, etc.
4 Math. a) having three as a base b) involving three variables
5 Metallurgy of an alloy of three elements
n.,
pl. 3ries [Rare] a group or set of three

Terpsichore - the Muse of dancing

terraciform
terrane - geology - deposits characterisiic of one part of the world, but identifiable in other parts of the world as result of actions of plate techtonics

ter[rene 7ter rcn$, t! rcn$, ter4cn#8
adj.
5ME < L terrenus: see TERRAIN6
1 of earth; earthy
2 worldly; mundane
n.
1 the earth
2 a land or territory

terreplein
n.
5Fr < It terrepieno < terrapienare, to fill with earth, terrace < terra (see TERRACE) + pienare, to fill < L plenus, full: see PLENTY6 a level platform behind a parapet, rampart, etc., where guns are mounted

territoriality, terror,

tessera, tessellate - tiles, tilage

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: television - 07/23/03 05:31 PM
maybe everyone always says "TV" or "telly"?

Posted By: Faldage Re: television - 07/23/03 05:44 PM
Or either, it appears infrequently in spelling bees.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: p.168 - 07/23/03 05:45 PM
>“Words Appearing Infrequently”?

I suggest again that this means used infrequently in the spell-off.

Posted By: Faldage Re: p.168 - 07/23/03 05:48 PM
Ha! Pipped ya, tsuwm!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: p.168 - 07/23/03 05:53 PM
a drive-by pipping!

wow. Reality TV, right here on the board.

Posted By: Faldage Re: p.168 - 07/23/03 06:26 PM
I suggest again

Wait a minute. Does this mean that I simultaneously pipped and mantled tsuwm?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: p.168 - 07/23/03 06:27 PM
good, now he can ignore the both of us next time..

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=beheadingwords&Number=108017
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: p.168 - 07/23/03 07:02 PM
Faldage
(Carpal Tunnel)
Wed Jul 23 13:44:16 2003

tsuwm
(Carpal Tunnel)
Wed Jul 23 13:45:15 2003

simultaneously

depends on your definition of simultaneously.
Galactically, yes.
locally, not so sure.

Posted By: Faldage Re: simultaneity - 07/23/03 07:11 PM
By simultaneously pipping and mantling I was referring to one act (my post on infrequency in spelling bees) being an act of pipping (posting the same thing moments before tsuwm's post) and an act of mantling (saying the same thing he had said earlier in another thread).

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: simultaneity - 07/23/03 07:17 PM
oh.
silly me.

I guess I should have read it a bit more simultenaciously.

Posted By: Bingley tempe - 07/24/03 06:45 AM
In reply to:

tempeh
n.
a cheeselike high-protein food, orig. of Indonesia, made with cooked soybeans fermented with a rhizopus fungus and used as a meat substitute, in salads, etc.

I love tempe, but the resemblance between tempe and cheese escapes me. Can't find a decent picture online. I suppose it does look a bit cheeselike in the online pictures, but in real life they don't look the same at all.

Bingley

Posted By: Faldage Re: tempeh - 07/24/03 10:03 AM
It's got a sort of cheeselike texture, in a floppy sort of way.

Posted By: Bingley Re: tempeh - 07/24/03 10:27 AM
Not when it's hot from being fried it doesn't.

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: tempeh - 07/24/03 11:51 AM
not when it's hot from being fried

Well, neither does cheese.

Posted By: wwh Re: tempeh - 07/24/03 01:02 PM
Dear Faldage: the best way to fry cheese is i;n a ;microwqve. I used to like cheddar on toast, in the old days when they made toasters to that you could grill things under them. But it was tricky to get it crisped just right,
and very difficult to avoid burning the edges of the toast.
When I got my first microwave, I discovered that I could just put the cheddar on a Pyrex plate and with short burst of heat get it all nicely crisped. It would not stick very hard to the pyrex plate.Then it could be put onto a slice of toast. Frying cheese in a pan would just make a mess.

Posted By: maverick Re: tempeh - 07/24/03 11:39 PM
Has television killed bridge yet?

Not in this household :)

Posted By: tsuwm trivia - 07/25/03 02:36 PM
bridge on television? I remember a show from the early 60s with sotto voce commentary by a well-known bridge name. can anyone recall the name of the show (and the commentator)?

Posted By: maverick Re: serious trivia - 07/26/03 09:47 PM
No, I can't from the 60s - but there was a series in (I think) the 80s on BBC which had Jeremy Flint (perhaps presenting?) and a number of other good players like Zia Mahmoud - the format was a kind of over-the-shoulder style in which each player would v/o their thinking process before each bid was revealed. This 're-enactment' created studious interest for the afficianados, but sluggish TV for the great illiteratti, so was replaced with yet another makeover/cookery/gardening programme...

Posted By: tsuwm Re: serious trivia - 07/27/03 12:53 PM
Charles Goren's Championship Bridge, 1959-64

© Wordsmith.org