Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh p. 166 - 07/21/03 03:34 PM
tagliarini [tah-lyuh-REE-nee] Long, paper-thin ribbon noodles, usually less than 1/8 inch wide. ...

tagliatelle
[tah-lyuh-TEHL-ee]
Long, thin, flat strips of PASTA about 1/4 inch wide. "Tagliatelle" is the name used in northern Italy for FETTUCCINE.

tailspin - in the early days of small planes, they were susceptible to diving in a tight helix with nose at center, and for a good many years such planes crashed because no one knew how to correct the problem. As a figure of speech,
it was applied to persons in an emotional turmoil.

taintless = untainted

Talapoin Monkey (Miopithecus talapoin) MORPHOLOGY: This species has cheek pouches to carry food in while it forages

talcky - resembling talc

talipot - a variety of palm tree

talking

tallage = a toll or fee paid by a feudal tenant to his lord

Talmouse nom commun feminin comme automobile ou volant ou excès de vitesse ou cannette de bière.

Talmudism - an “ism” relating to the Talmud

talon - a claw, as on a raptor or predator

talus 1
n.,
pl. 3lus[es or 3li# 73lj#8 5ModL < L, ankle6
1 the bone of the ankle that joins with the ends of the fibula, tibia, and calcaneus to form the ankle joint; anklebone
2 the entire ankle

talus 2
n.
5Fr < OFr talu < L talutium, surface indications of the presence of subterranean gold, prob. of Iberian orig.6
1 a slope
2 Geol. a) a pile of rock debris at the foot of a cliff b) a mantle of rock fragments on a slope below a rock face

tamarin
n.
5Fr < Galibi6 any of several South American marmosets having long, silky fur, esp. any of a species (Saguinus tamarin) having black hands and feet

tamarisk
n.
5ME tamarisc < LL tamariscus, for L tamarix6 any of a genus (Tamarix) of small trees or shrubs of the tamarisk family with slender branches and feathery flower clusters, common near salt water and often grown for a windbreak
adj.
designating a family (Tamaricaceae, order Violales) of small, dicotyledonous shrubs and trees

tambourin
n.
5Fr, dim. of tambour: see TAMBOUR6
1 a long drum used in Provence
2 a sprightly dance of Provence, or music for it

Tammanyism - pertaining to a corrupt political group in New York City

Tammy - a feminine name

tandoor
n.,
pl. tan[door$i 73c8 an oven, orig. in India, made of clay and capable of high temperatures, for fast cooking or baking
tangemon - found in several advertisements. Apparently a coinage, no definition found.

tangle, tangled, tango

Posted By: of troy Re: p. 166 - 07/21/03 04:25 PM
Re:tambourin n.
5Fr, dim. of tambour: see TAMBOUR6
1 a long drum used in Provence
2 a sprightly dance of Provence, or music for it

Tam/tambor show up in all sorts of drum/drum like words..

tamborine, Tam-tam/tom-tom, Tambor work (embroidery done in on fabric stretched tight in a hoop), there are savory little custards, cooked in small straight sides pans, that also have drum like shape, called timbals -which go back to the same root word. and these are the ones i think of off the top of my head!

© Wordsmith.org