Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh p. 141 - 06/26/03 09:29 PM
recriminate
vi.
3nat#ed, 3nat#ing 5< ML recriminatus: see RE3 & CRIMINATE6to answer an accuser by accusing him in return; reply with a countercharge
re[crim#i[na4tion
n.
re[crim$i[na[to#ry 73! n! tCr#c8 or re[crim$i[na#tive
adj.
“you’re another!”

rectifier
n.
1 a person or thing that rectifies, as by correction or adjustment
2 Elec. a device, as a vacuum tube, that converts alternating current into direct current
A crucially important electronic component. Mention of vacuum tubes shows how old my dictionary is.
Very few devices now use vacuum tubes. Notable exception, TV and computer monitors.

rectigrade - moving in a straight line

rec[ti[lin[e[ar 7rek#t! lin4c !r8
adj.
5< LL rectilineus < recti3 (see RECTI3) + linea, LINE1 + 3AR6
1 moving in a straight line
2 forming a straight line
3 bounded or formed by straight lines
4 characterized by straight lines
5 Optics corrected so as not to distort straight lines: said of a type of lens Also rec#ti[lin4e[al
rec#ti[lin4e[ar[ly
adv.
rectirastrate - having a straight beak

recumbentibus - some daffy sports writer’s coinage for a knockout punch

REDONDILLA
A Redondilla is an eight-syllable quatrain rhyming either abba or abab, but in the latter rhyme scheme it is usually called serventesio. Sometimes a Redondilla is referred to as Redondilla Mayor, Cuarteta and Cuartilla. Formerly the term included the Quintilla and was also applied to any eight-syllable strophe in which all the verses rhymed in consonance. This is an important form, for it was adapted by one poet after another until Lope de Vega and Calderon used it widely, for example, to create mood in drama. (This definition was found in "The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory," J.A. Cuddon, c. 1998, p. 735)
Example:
Felix Navidad
In a box half-filled with Christmas
Softly snores my fearsome BadCat
Contented snug aristrocrat
Thinks: Perhaps I'll keep my mistress.
Martha Kirby Capo, Houston, TX, USA

redoubt
n.
5Fr redoute < It ridotta < ML reductus, refuge, orig. pp. of L reducere: see REDUCE6
1 a) a breastwork outside a fortification, to defend approaches, etc. b) a breastwork within a fortification
2 any stronghold

redowa - either of two popular Bohemian ballroom dances of the 19th century

reeve 1
n.
5ME reve, earlier irefe < OE gerefa < ge3 + base of *rof, row, number6
1 in English history,
a) the chief officer, under the king, of a town or district b) the overseer and chief peasant of a manor
2 the elected head of a village or town council in certain Canadian provinces

reeve 2
vt.
rove or reeved, rove or rov$en, reev4ing 5prob. < Du reven, to reef, in sense “use a rope in or as in reefing”6 Naut.
1 to pass (the end of a line) through a block, ring, etc.
2 to fasten by passing through or around something
3 to pass a line through (a block, ring, etc.)

reeve3 7rcv8
n.
5? < irreg. pl. of RUFF16 the female sandpiper

recriminate
vi.
3nat#ed, 3nat#ing 5< ML recriminatus: see RE3 & CRIMINATE6to answer an accuser by accusing him in return; reply with a countercharge
re[crim#i[na4tion
n.
adj.
“you’re another!”

rectifier
n.
2 Elec. a device, as a vacuum tube, that converts alternating current into direct current
A crucially important electronic component. Mention of vacuum tubes shows how old my dictionary is.
Very few devices now use vacuum tubes. Notable exception, TV and computer monitors.

adj.
5 Optics corrected so as not to distort straight lines: said of a type of lens Also rec#ti[lin4e[al
rec#ti[lin4e[ar[ly
adv.

REDONDILLA
A Redondilla is an eight-syllable quatrain rhyming either abba or abab, but in the latter rhyme scheme it is usually called serventesio. Sometimes a Redondilla is referred to as Redondilla Mayor, Cuarteta and Cuartilla. Formerly the term included the Quintilla and was also applied to any eight-syllable strophe in which all the verses rhymed in consonance. This is an important form, for it was adapted by one poet after another until Lope de Vega and Calderon used it widely, for example, to create mood in drama. (This definition was found in "The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory," J.A. Cuddon, c. 1998, p. 735)
Example:
Felix Navidad

redoubt
n.
5Fr redoute < It ridotta < ML reductus, refuge, orig. pp. of L reducere: see REDUCE6
1 a) a breastwork outside a fortification, to defend approaches, etc. b) a breastwork within a fortification
2 any stronghold

reeve 1
n.
1 in English history,
a) the chief officer, under the king, of a town or district b) the overseer and chief peasant of a manor

reeve 2
vt.
rove or reeved, rove or rov$en, reev4ing 5prob. < Du reven, to reef, in sense “use a rope in or as in reefing”6 Naut.

reeve3 7rcv8
n.

recriminate
vi.
re[crim#i[na4tion
n.
adj.
“you’re another!”

rectifier
n.

adj.
rec#ti[lin4e[ar[ly
adv.

REDONDILLA
Example:
Felix Navidad

redoubt
n.
2 any stronghold

reeve 1
n.
1 in English history,

reeve 2
vt.

reeve3 7rcv8
n.

recriminate
vi.
re[crim#i[na4tion
n.
adj.
“you’re another!”

rectifier
n.

adj.
rec#ti[lin4e[ar[ly
adv.

REDONDILLA
Example:
Felix Navidad

redoubt
n.
2 any stronghold

reeve 1
n.
1 in English history,

reeve 2
vt.

reeve3 7rcv8
n.

© Wordsmith.org