martinet
n.
5after Gen. Jean Martinet, 17th-c. Fr drillmaster6
1 a very strict military disciplinarian
2 any very strict disciplinarian or stickler for rigid regulations
Note the etymology that it is an eponym

marque 1
n.
5ME mark < MFr marque < Prov marca, seizure, reprisal < marcar, to seize as a pledge < marc, token of pledge < Gmc: see MARK16 reprisal: obsolete except in LETTERS OF MARQUE
In many sea stories, privateers were given a “letter of marque” as proof that they
were not pirates.
marque 2
n.
5Fr, a sign < marquer, to mark < OIt marcare < marca, a mark < Gmc *marka: see MARK16
1 a nameplate or emblem, as to identify an automobile
2 a brand of a product, esp. of an automobile

marquee
n.
5false sing. < Fr marquise (misunderstood as pl.), an awning, canopy over an officer‘s tent, lit., marquise: reason for name uncert.6
1 [Chiefly Brit.] a large tent with open sides, esp. one used for some outdoor entertainment
>2 a rooflike structure or awning projecting over an entrance, as to a theater

marquetry or marqueterie
n.
5Fr marqueterie < marqueter, to spot, inlay < marque, a mark < OFr merc < ON merki < Gmc *marka, MARK16 decorative inlaid work of wood, ivory, metal, etc., used in furniture and flooring

marron
n.
5Fr < It marrone, chestnut6 a large, sweet European chestnut, often used in confectionery
The US had beautiful huge chestnuts tree with delicious edible nuts, until about a
hundred years ago some stupid anal orifice thouight he could improve them by crossing them with an Asiatic chestnut. He introduced a fungus that killed millions
of beautiful trees, and is still able to prevent their growing more than a few inches tall.

mastoid
adj.
5Gr mastoeidcs < mastos, a breast (see MAST2) + 3eidcs, 3OID6
1 shaped like a breast or nipple
2 designating, of, or near a projection of the temporal bone behind the ear
n.
1 the mastoid projection: see SKULL, illus.
2 [Colloq.] MASTOIDITIS

MATROCLINAL: Traits transmitted from the mother.

meander
n.
5L maeander < Gr maiandros < Maiandros, the MAEANDER (noted for its winding course)6
1 [pl.] windings or convolutions, as of a stream
2 an ornamental pattern of winding or crisscrossing lines
3 an aimless wandering; rambling
vi.
1 to take a winding or tortuous course: said of a stream
2 to wander aimlessly or idly; ramble
me[an$drous 73dr!s8
adj.
A word seen many times in AWADtalk, but worth repeating to point out that it is an eponym.
The original river is in Asia Minor, in Turkey;.

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: p. 106 - 05/10/03 11:14 PM
In reply to:

marron
n.
5Fr < It marrone, chestnut6 a large, sweet European chestnut, often used in confectionery
The US had beautiful huge chestnuts tree with delicious edible nuts, until about a
hundred years ago some stupid anal orifice thouight he could improve them by crossing them with an Asiatic chestnut. He introduced a fungus that killed millions
of beautiful trees, and is still able to prevent their growing more than a few inches tall.

Known ever after as The Marron Moron

Posted By: wwh Re: p. 106 - 05/11/03 02:16 AM
Dear CB: To be fair to the idiot, that may have been the first of a series of tree tragedies. I've never read what
benefits he expected from the cross, since the nuts were as far as I know without any undesirable features.
How I miss the beautiful elms that lined the street in font of the house where I was born. I'm far from religious,but the way those enormous trees met in graceful curing arches when I was a child reminded me of pictures of
inside of the great cathedrals. The word "awsome" has been maae a stupid cliché, but those trees inspired me with awe.
did you know that a maroon is a red assed moron?
Which reminds me of a story told me by a classmate sixty years ago, about hearing a kid on street car in Springfield, MA, scream to his mother as they were going by the Zoo, that he wanted to go see the monkey with the rainbow ass. Meaning the mandrill, I think it is.
mandrill
n.
5MAN + DRILL46 a large, fierce, strong baboon (Mandrillus sphinx) of W Africa: the male has blue and scarlet patches on the face and rump

© Wordsmith.org