Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh K words - 03/03/03 08:08 PM
kümmel
n.
5Ger, caraway OHG kumil, kumin L cuminum: see CUMIN6 a colorless liqueur flavored with caraway seeds, anise, cumin, etc.

I have always disliked the taste of caraway seed. My father would not have bread iwith caraway seed
In the house. I suspected, but dared not ask, that he had once found what looked like caraway seed was
Actually mouse droppings.

kunzite
n.
5after G. F. Kunz (1856-1932), U.S. gem expert + 3ITE16 a transparent variety of spodumene, occurring in lilac crystals, used as a gem

kayak
n.
5Esk6
1 an Eskimo canoe made of skins completely covering a wooden frame except for an opening in the middle for the paddler
The spelling bee has it spelled "kayack" , which is not often used. It would really be a shitty trick to call
Contestant in error if he left out the "c".

kylix
n.,
pl. ky[li[kes 7kj4li kcz#, kil4i38 5Gr kylix IE base *(s)kel3, cup > L calix6 a lavishly decorated, ancient Greek two-handled drinking cup with a stem and a wide, shallow bowl: also cylix

kylin
n. (in Chinese art) a mythical
animal of composite form.
[from Chinese ch'i-lin, literally:
male-female]

Posted By: consuelo spodumene - 03/05/03 11:15 AM
This is also the name of a glaze in pottery. It is normally a reddish brown/yellowish brown, depending on the thickness of application and base clay. An even thicker application will turn ivory colored. Here's a link for the mineral:
http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/minerals/spodumene.html

Posted By: wwh Re: spodumene - 03/05/03 01:43 PM
Nice bit of information, consuelo. Takes a word that looked worthless to me, and makes it
interesting. I wish I could find more about the roots that make "spodomene" mean burnt
to ashes".

Posted By: Bingley Re: spodumene - 03/06/03 05:21 AM
Looks like a participle from the verb spodoomai meaning to be burnt to ashes, related to the noun spodos ashes.

See http://makeashorterlink.com/?K151214B3 for spodoomai and http://makeashorterlink.com/?P671234B3 for spodos

Bingley
Posted By: consuelo Re: spodumene - 03/06/03 10:10 AM
How would you pronounce that? The pottery gurus say SPA-dju-main.

Posted By: of troy Re: spodumene - 03/06/03 08:09 PM
Re:How would you pronounce that? The pottery gurus say SPA-dju-main.

and i thought it would be related (and sound like) spode, as in spode china.... which is often irory colored. any relatiion to spode china? any know? i am not a big fan of china, and know very little about it.

Posted By: Faldage Re: spodumene - 03/06/03 08:27 PM
any relation to spode china?

If there is it's purely coincidental. Spode china appears to be named after Josiah Spode.

Posted By: wwh Re: spodumene - 03/06/03 08:59 PM
Dear Faldage: How about coining synonym for cremate: "Spodumize."

Posted By: tsuwm Re: spodumene - 03/06/03 09:32 PM
problem is that spodo- has come to have the (medical) implication of relating to organic waste materials rather than ashes.

Posted By: wwh Re: spodumene - 03/06/03 10:41 PM

http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?spodomancy

spodogram

The pattern of ash residue formed by microincineration of a minute tissue specimen, usually a thin section.

Origin: G. Spodos, ashes, + gramma, a drawing

(05 Mar 2000)

spodogenous

Caused by waste material.

Origin: G. Spodos, ashes, + -gen, producing

(05 Mar 2000)

spodography

Synonym: microincineration.

Origin: G. Spodos, ashes, + grapho, to write

(05 Mar 2000)

spodomancy

Divination by means of ashes.

Origin: Gr. Spodos ashes + -mancy.

Source: Websters Dictionary

(01 Mar 1998)

spodomantic

Relating to spodomancy, or divination by means of ashes.

(01 Mar 1998)

Previous:

spodophorous

Removing or carrying off waste materials from the body.

Origin: G. Spodos, ashes, + phoros, bearing

(05 Mar 2000)

spodoptera

A genus of owlet moths of the family noctuidae. These insects are used in molecular biology studies during all stages of their life
cycle.

(12 Dec 1998)

spodumene

<chemical> A mineral of a white to yellowish, purplish, or emerald-green colour, occuring in prismatic crystals, often of great size.
It is a silicate of aluminia and lithia. See Hiddenite.

Origin: Gr, p. Pr. Pass. From to burn to ashes, from spodos ashes; cf. F. Spodumene.

(01 Mar 1998)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: spodumene - 03/07/03 01:50 AM
In reply to:

spodoptera

A genus of owlet moths of the family noctuidae. These insects are used in molecular biology studies during all stages of their life
cycle.

Don't know why the word owlet was used here. Is it the adjective form of owl?

Anyway, the spodoptera must have been those horrible winged creatures that crawled out of the feathers of the owl my brother shouldn't have shot. Very creepy things they were! Looked like miniature bats.

© Wordsmith.org